Why does my dog pee on himself?

My boston terrier will be 3 yo this year. He has always had the habit of peeing on himself since he started lifting his leg. When he was a puppy and squatted it was fine. He doesn't even move his paw when he starts peeing on it, he just keeps peeing. After he's done he licks his paws! Gross! Sometimes he pees on his chest and stomach. I hate giving him a bath so much. Sometimes this happens because he starts walking away before he's done peeing. But most of the time he stays in one spot but still pees all over himself. Why doesn't he move his paw out of the way?

Asked by Member 863383 on Aug 1st 2009 Tagged dog, bostonterrier, peesonhimself in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Ginger-  M.I.A.

sorry to say it, but dogs are not grossed-out by urine. They smell other dogs pee all the time, right?
Does he do this all the time? Maybe you could give him a little treat when he doesn't soil himself, so he gets the message that's how to pee.
I have also heard of "belly bands" for male dogs that can't control themselves. It's like a diaper that goes around the belly and covers the penis to soak up urine. That would be embarrassing to go out in public with, tho...

Ginger- M.I.A. answered on 8/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Deogie sometimes pees on himself when he forgets the fact that marking a tree requires lifting his leg completely. Sometimes he does it half way and gets pee all over his leg, no big deal, come home and give him a quick hose down. Most times at home he squats.
Dogs can and will lick or eat some really gross things (to us) but we have to remember they are dogs. Dogs clean their butts, some eat feces, eat and roll around in dead things, you get the idea, dogs do dog things.
I hope you don't give him trouble when he does this. A quick hose down will rinse any urine off and both of you will be happy.
Have a good one.

Buddy

Hi there, our male dog is extremely smelly - the reason - he doesnt seem to be able to pee straight!! - and for this reason has earned himself the nickname "pi55y paws" (if you forgive us ! )...

He is quite a high energy dog and gets distracted when going to the toilet - or doesnt lift his leg high enough - the result, peeing on his front paws, he sometimes licks his paws (and the pee) whilst peeing which is totally disgusting.... I'm afraid i cannot offer a solution, just to let you know that your dog is not the only one which does this - however, if you do come across a solution pls be sure to drop me a line - in the meantime, its regular bath time and wipes, dry shampoos/or foam no-rinse shampoos... Good luck in finding a solution :-)....now where did i put the airfreshner..... LOL

Buddy answered on 9/25/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I don't know why we do it but I do know how to make it not so bad. I am a mixed breed with relatively short legs in proportion to my body size. I find that the longer I have to wait to go, the harder the stream thus getting all over my front legs. On the other paw, when I am taken out more frequently I have less to do making the pressure not so forceful and pee stays off of my feet and legs. It also helps if I position myself over a low spot in the yard although it is harder to plan for this one. Sure hope this is helpful.