why does my dog continually lie in the way, he is expert at it. He continually adjusts his placement to be in the way.

My dog majors in being in the way. We show him where we want him to sit eg in his basket but that is the last place he wants to be. Is it for attention. How do we change this annoying habit?

Asked by Member 1011790 on Nov 14th 2010 Tagged dogsbehaviour in Behavior & Training

Answers

Reward him when he is in his basket. He needs to associate good things come when I go to my basket. My dogs know that "look out", "excuse me", & "back" mean they are in the way & they need to move. Look out means "pay attention, I'm moving your way". They may not need to move if there is room for me. Excuse me means "get up & get out of my way" & back is "step back at least 5 paces."
I gently walked/nudged through my dogs if they were in the way. I would mark/treat if they moved on their own volition.
Is his basket in the same room you are? He probably does want to be near you, especially if you are gone to work all day.

Kazba

I am sure he does not realize he is in the way. He may just think he is trying to be where you are and just ends up being in the way. I would try to set up a certain place that the dog is not allowed to go past. We set that up and the dogs learned they were not to be past the point we set for them. They learned to sit there and they still could watch and see us, but at least they were not underfoot.

Kazba answered on 11/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hey, what dog wants to be left out? They want to be included in all the action. Since they doze off a lot, it's easier to know people are coming and going if they have to step over you. LOL!

My 3 have their spots too...

Snickers is always a few feet away from me. Either under the computer table, at my feet while I watch TV, and just outside the bathroom door.

Pepper likes to be outside, so she is always by the backdoor waiting for someone to go out with her.

Sonny is the youngest and follows me around all day. He sticks his head in the dryer while I put clothes in, into the cabinets while I put pans away, into the dishwasher for a taste... If he's tired he'll lie behind me while I wash dishes. And I mean RIGHT behind, his body in contact with my feet.

my dog does this daily. She has to be busy if not then she is in my way. She is in my way because she loves me and wants to be with me all the time. Feel proud your dog loves you so much.
Interact with your dog , find something to do with him at a certain time everyday.

*giggle* Mariah does this too! We call her a "Puppy Rug" because she stretches out the entire length on the floor in front of the couch whenever we sit there, making it impossible to get up without stepping over her! I'd say it's because she just wants to be as close as possible to us. She's not allowed on the furniture...and if she was she would prefer our laps anyway! (She'd be a 65lb lap-dog if she could be!) I'd suggest getting your dog thier own piece of "lounge furniture" for down-time in your living room or den. Even if it's just a blanket, show them its theirs to enjoy while you watch TV or enjoy other leisiure activities. This will be better then getting out of bed (or wherever) and nearly stepping on a puppy-tummy or tail! :0)