Buckeye

Why do Soft-Coated Wheaten Terriers not shed?

I have two Wheatens. I knew that they don't shed before I got them. What is the reason that they don't shed?

Asked by Buckeye on Apr 26th 2010 in Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Answers

All animals shed, even humans do. He is a hypo allergenic dog; which is a dog that is good for people who are allergic to dogs, because he doesn't shed as much.

They DO shed... but the hair gets caught up in the longer hair and you don't see it in clumps around the house. Even my poodles shed!

They are a non shedding dog. I once was going to get one I loved this one I saw with a perky personality to her. I liked the part about them not shedding since I have always owned shedding shepherds who you need to vacuum every day. Some breeds are non shedding dogs like the poodle.
Plus they have great prey drive so I was going to get one and train it. Read wiki they have good explanations in there on things.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft-Coated_Wheaten_Terrier

Chaz is right.

ALL dogs shed. No matter what. Some just shed more than others, and also some shed more visibly than others.

With terriers and poodle types, the coat has two layers, which help trap the shed hairs and you don't really realize how much they are shedding. They don't shed as much as, say, labs do....but they shed.

The hairs that are shed can often be so fine they're hard to see. Also, dogs like Wheatens are usually groomed regularly so this cuts down on any looser hairs that may fall out around the house in between cuts.

(And any dog can cause an allergic reaction in any person. There's simply no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog. People who are allergic are either allergic to the oils of the dogs' skin or the particles of dust or pollen that cling to the fur. So even hairless dogs can cause allergies.)

Foxxy

Yep, all animals shed. These guys are right, but also there is a difference in the type of hair a dog has. Most dogs have fur which grows to a certain length before breaking off and being replaced. Coat length is determined by genetics. These kinds of dogs always have a certain maximum coat length that does not change. this is the original genetic plan.

Somewhere in the genetic evolution of dogs as companions, they developed coats that do not have an upper limit for growth, so it grows continually the way human hair on the head does. It doesn't fall out as often, because there is no gene to tell it when to stop, die off and fall out. This also means that it doesn't shed as often. The result is a dog that can get very hairy without a human to groom and clipper or strip its coat.

Foxxy answered on 1/26/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

simple, they shed, but it gets stuck in their fur. use a shedding brush. that's what i did on my wheatie.