Bailey

Why Did Bailey Bark At Someone When She Never Has Before?

One reason we love Bailey is because she never ever barks. Not when she sees a squirell or another dog or a person walking by.
Me and my brother were in the front yard with her (she had a very long rope tied to her collar for training) when a women with a stroller and little girl on a tricycle walked by. Bailey stayed in her spot as we had told her but stood up and barked 4 deep barks at them.
It wasn't her usual playful barks like she does at the cat, it was a BARK and it startled me since I have never heard that from her! I don't know what caused it. I did notice the little girl on the tricycle was staring straight into Bailey's eyes, so I don't know if that for some reason triggered her, or if the stroller & tricycle just made Bailey a little unsure. Any suggestions?

Asked by Bailey on Mar 18th 2011 in Barking

Best Answer

Pups tend to bark at all most anything at this young age!...

Since they were strangers I imagine that Bailey was detecting danger that she thought was "danger" apperently toward you..

Puppies bond with there new owners and will only bark at strangers who will come up to you and suddenly your dog starts barking...That puppy doesnt know that person becuase hes been around you so much that he will bark at anyone to try and tell you that something might be bothering them or tell that person "Dont hurt my owner"

Riley my other dog did this today when my Aunt and Uncle came to visit..

answered on Mar 19th.

Answers

It could be she felt a little threatened. She's a young dog, it could also be that she found her voice. Sometimes when dogs approach adulthood, they start to be more protective and start to bark more often.

The average dog doesn't begin alert barking until they are more mature, usually this begins at about Bailey's age or even older. I always chuckle when new puppy owners are telling me their puppy won't bark... I smile and tell them to let the dog grow up a bit, then come see me when they are trying to STOP the excessive barking.