T-Bone

what would be the right collar for my pitbull who lunges at other dogs on walks?

my pitbull when walking use to continuesly pull on walks i have been working with him and he has gotten alot better however when he sees another dog especially if other dog is barking he pulls so hard he chokes himself and will not quit. i currently use a slip collar which i like best but i dont think its the right size and not quite sure how to size it. any suggestions

Asked by T-Bone on Dec 9th 2007 in Aggression

Best Answer

A choke is never a good idea unless you know how to use it properly. Used improperly, it can seriously injure your dog.

I saw that a lot of posters before me have suggested to use a pinch collar, also known as a prong collar, in order to address your dog's behavior. That's sort of a good idea and sort of not.

When you have a dog that barks and lunges at other dogs, using a pinch collar can reinforce the behavior. The reason is that the pinch collar is self-correcting - the dog pulls into it, it corrects the dog. When that happens to a dog acting aggressively (or defensively) when seeing another dog, the dog learns that seeing another dog equals getting corrected. Enter a vicious circle.

To use it correctly, call your dog's name before he gets a chance to bark/lunge. Tell him to sit and correct him for looking toward the other dog after you asked him to look at you. Then praise for doing it right.

Definitely get into a positive obedience class so your dog learns to relax around dogs

Abby answered on Dec 10th.

Answers

Scarlett   (7/3/99~11/16/07)

Hi! I have used 'pinch' collars on my dogs, I have owned Doberman Pinschers. These collars not cruel is used properly. Most people think the collars dig into the skin. Again, they don't do any damage providing they are used properly. According to Ceasar Milan (Dog Whisperer), these collars mimic another dog's bite. I feel you will see a dramatic result using the collar. Just make sure you take it off when you are not out walking. You will see that after a while (some as fast as a couple of weeks/months) you will no longer need it. Hope this is helpful.

Scarlett (7/3/99~11/16/07) answered on 12/9/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You should also work on desensitizing your dog around other dogs - collars don't work forever. I have a pit mix who is fear reactive around strange dogs her size and larger, and we have had a session with a behaviorist, and have been using various exercises using the clicker to help desensitize her to other dogs and to lower her reactivity around them, and to teach her to associate other dogs with good things instead of bad. On walks we use a Gentle Leader EZ Walk Harness which helps with the pulling, since in my case I felt that punishing aggression with aggression (i.e. a leash pop or other uncomfortable sensation) only made things worse - I didn't want her to associate other dogs with unpleasantness since that would defeat my entire goal.

Luna

I also have used a pinch collar on my French Bulldog. She continues to lunge at other dogs when we are out walking, but has shown marked improvement when she wears her collar. When used properly, they are a wonderful training tool!

Luna answered on 12/9/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Sophia Annabella De Pasquale

Sophia used to pull so hard when I took her for walks she'd cough for hours when we got back from walks. My trainer recommended I use a harness and clip the leash to the metal circle in the front of the harness on her chest. Then when Sophia pulled, she would be pulled to face me.

Once she realised she couldn't get anywhere by pulling she quit doing it. Just make sure you don't clip the leash to the ring on the back of the harness, otherwise you'll turn T-Bone into a sled dog and he'll pull you over when he lunges.

It also helps if you stop dead in your tracks as soon as T-Bone starts to pull. Once the leash is loose again start walking. You may only get a block stopping and starting whenever your dog pulls, but it shouldn't take long for your dog to learn that if he wants to go forward, he needs to keep a loose leash to do it.

Sophia Annabella De Pasquale answered on 12/9/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Georgia's Summer Breeze

We are still working on this, but what I have found helps is a pinch collar, and treats with the command leave it.
When walking and we see another dog, if she starts getting excited, I say a firm leave it and give a sharp yank on the lead. If she ignores the dog even for a couple of seconds she gets a small treat.
We are working up to more time. You cannot be anxious at all, that is probably key.

Georgia's Summer Breeze answered on 12/10/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Roscoe the Racehound™

With pinch collars, you don't have to pull so hard on it as you would with a choke collar.

I think calling a trainer or asking your vet would be your best bet. They could measure your dogs neck to find the right fitting, and then tell you what is best.
If the choke isn't used correctly it can damage a dogs throat and neck and cause some serious problems.

Roscoe the Racehound™ answered on 12/10/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Cadillac CGC

i just want to mention, that with all pit bulls you need to invest in basic obedience. your dog needs to be twice as good as anyone elses dog, or it will never be viewed as equal to people in general. we have used the martingale collars for training, and they have worked well for us. we also clicker train, and socialize regularly. if you dont know exactly how to train yourself, please enlist a professional. we always make our dogs sit and face us when something is happening that might elicite a bad reaction. then we reward them for ignoring it, or pull on their leash as a correction if they dont ignore it. we have taught them to respond to the command "leave it" for anything we want ignored.

our dogs are very well behaved. and recently our eldest passed her cgc training. we do all our own training. but have used countless books to aid us. so, please invest the time and energy to have a well behaved dog. us pit bull owners need to try harder than everyone else.

Cadillac CGC answered on 12/11/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

sirmoxie, In loving memory

Hi and good luck. I had a no pull harness for my dog that pulled, the way it fits them, it stops them from pulling or you could try a haltie. It goes around there nose almost like a muzzle but its not and with that on they cannot pull. Check them out at the Pet store near you.
Have you ever watched the dog whisperer on tv? He works with issues like this.

sirmoxie, In loving memory answered on 12/12/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hope Marie

I agree with the posting that states you should try the Gentle Leader! We have tried, literally, EVERYTHING, with Hope, but when we go on a walk, she does SO well with the Gentle Leader. We have tried "pintcher" collars, but she doesn't even respond to that as well as she does the GL. I promise, if you have someone help you put it on your little sweetie (or watch the video that comes with it) you will be SOOO happy! She actually used to dislocate my shoulders because her slip collar did not hold her well enough, now she can even go out on an exted-a-leash!
Hope this helps!

Hope Marie answered on 12/12/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer