Buckeye

What types of bones are good for dogs? What kinds are bad?

I was looking in to getting a healthy, durable, safe bones for my two dogs. The only problem is I do not know what kinds of bones are unhealthy or unsafe, and which one's aren't. I would prefer something long lasting, with easy or no clean up. Any ideas?

Asked by Buckeye on Jun 7th 2010 Tagged bones, healthy, unhealthy, safe in Other Pet Products

Answers

Ellie CGC

Hi Buckeye.
Wow,there's nothing I like better than a good chew! But...if you believe the FDA...NO bones are good for dogs...they released a report recently that said (and I'm simplifying a lot) that the risks of bone fragments, or dogs cracking/breaking teeth were such that real meat bones shouldn't be given to dogs.

You'll get a howl of disagreement about that and I'll be in the chorus...chewing can be great for our doggie dental health. Besides which bones are YUMMY...but there ARE risks and real bones are a little messy for our humans I must admit.

But other chewies like bully sticks, dental chews like Greenies, some rawhide chew bones (be careful where they come from), can all give a good chew, help clean our teeth, and last fairly long and don't leave a mess for the humans. I get Greenies about three times a week and I also get twisted rawhide chews and an occasional bully stick.

Ellie CGC answered on 6/8/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Any cooked bones are a no-go as the moisture is drained out of them, making them more likely to splinter.

Pretty much any NON-WEIGHT-bearing bone that is covered in meat is okay. Chicken, pork, turkey, etc. (Although, the weight-bearing bones of a chicken are okay as they're small.) More complicated RMBs (raw meaty bones) take longer to finish. Such as pork tails. (Though these specifically are small and better suited to small dogs.)
Weight-bearing bones, AKA wreck or recreational bones, are okay for just chewing for some dogs. (Edible bones are just that, edible.) Depends on how reckless or not the dog is when chewing. Once the meat is gone, a recreational bone should be thrown away.

Always supervise when your dog is eating bones. Dogs can choke on anything, even kibble, but better safe than sorry.

Here is a link to the FDA's position, www.fda.gov

The dog guide school we raise puppies for has long forbidden them.

There may or may not be some bones that are safe. However even without breaking teeth, splintering, the mess, and other problems listed by the FDA, my observation is that they wear the teeth down. May as well take a stone and soak it in grease and give it to your dog.

Aster lived to be 15. She never had a real bone in her life and her teeth were in excellent shape. Dogs may enjoy bones, but I don't think iti is worth it. Children enjoy playing in the street.