What to do, timid dog?

I recently adopted an adorable female Siberian Husky/Great Pyrenees mix. She is only 3 months old and VERY timid. She hides from all people but occasionally warms up to me and my friend (when we are sitting and just hanging out and talking she'll come up to us and let us pet her). She is just a baby, why is she SO timid? I thought huskies were friendly... independent, yes but not timid. I have owned a great pyrenees and he was NOTHING like her. He LOVED all people and would gladly greet anyone (although, he would protect us if need be). I take her to petsmart and it seems like it makes it worse because she gets MORE scared and timid each time I take her out. Also, we are afraid to correct her when she potties inside because she screams blooding murder if you gently take her by the collar to walk her outside! She also crys when you pick her up or sometimes when you pet her. Is this something she will get over with a lot of work and socialization? HELP!!!

Asked by Member 815216 on Mar 29th 2009 Tagged siberianhusky, greatpyrenees, timid, shy, scared, bark, hide, cry in Fears & Phobias

Answers

Marley

3 weeks ago a adopted Marley and he was extremely timid, everything scared the crap out of him. still is when out for walks but we are getting there, he was also intimidated by people, so in attempt to make him more comfortable I would go down to his level and just sit on the floor, to watch tv or what ever and this made things alot easier, he warmed up to me very quickly and now he is fine with me standing around him. Maybe when she pee's inside instead of leading her by her collar, walk outside yourself and sit on the floor and call her. But I found dogs, when they pee inside they dont respond very well to be carted off outside instead, go out the back with her every hour, and when she does her thing outside.... throw a party, make it such a big deal, but then being timid simply just by lowering yourself to the ground and just saying 'good girl' should work after a few times :) Hope that helps :)

Marley answered on 3/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

for some dogs it takes a year to really see great improvement and getting relationship bonded.
But, for abused and unloved dogs time and slowly working them is best shot.
Food and lots of trips to get deli meat is best shot also. I would work at home on coming to you and other basic commands. Also use food each/every time. No eye contact, no over the head petting. Do you know most dogs hate on the head stuff and grabbing their collar from top? yes, so don't do that and snap leash on from under chin. That way she see your hand and knows there is no negative rehearsals from her past life. When you call or she comes to you no staring or eye contact at first when she coming faster then work in eye contact. Most dogs view this eye contact as dominant behavior, but dogs can learn to use it through food (positive reinforcers):) For now, you can stand outside pet store away from door,let her see people and dogs but at a Distance. Feed her constantly with cooked meat each time dog goes in

Packer

just be patent and ignore the timid part of her behavior, if you pet her try to console her or aww poor puppy, she may learn that she should feel sorry for herself many of these timid dogs grow on to become..miss social butterfly,so dont give up hope!
many rescues are abused..then over affectioned..shaking,cowering and whining has to be walked away from until she calms herself, then reward calmer less shaking puppy! its harder than it sounds. expose her to stimulation with a daily walk..just walk dont acknowledge anything til you get past her triggers..baby steps! and allow her time to breath and relax, I agree with the sitting on the floor and watching the telly together..try it!

Packer answered on 3/29/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Rusty

First question - have you had her checked by a vet to rule out the fact that she is in pain? The crying out doesn't seem like it is necessarily a fear reaction.

That said, don't force her into doing things that scare her - like going to Petsmart. Put yourself in her shoes. If you were afraid of spiders, and someone kept making you stand in a room full of spiders, would you want to be around that person? And would you trust that person to take you somewhere? Or would you assume they were going to make you go in the room with the spiders again? She needs to learn trust - and that can take a long time.

In the meantime, if you have to move her from pottying inside to pottying outside, try using a slip-loop leash that you can slip over her head quickly to walk her outside. That way, you don't have to touch her collar.

Rusty answered on 3/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer