What kind of dog food should I feed my Maltese dog?

My Maltese dog has also allergies--I need any suggestins as to what is the right food to feed my dog?

Asked by Dee-Dee on Sep 13th 2008 Tagged dogfood in Food & Nutrition

Quality foods:
Innova, California Natural, EVO-grain free, Karma-95% organic; all made by Natura-

Wellness-meat and quality grains, Wellness Core-grain free; made by Old Mother Hubbard-

Orijen-all grain free made by Champion

Merrick-meat and grain, Merrick Before Grain-grain free-

Artemis-meat and grain

Taste of the Wild-grain free-

Nature's Variety- Raw frozen diet-Instinct-grain free, Prairie-meat and quality grains-

Solid Gold

Now!-grain free, made by Petcurean-

Fromm-grain free formula-

Eagle Pack Pack

Cooper answered on 9/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Coco Rose

Cooper's answers are terrific and it certainly was very nice of him to include the links. However, buying all types of foods is costly and to actually see if your dog will tolerate it can take 6 to 8 weeks, per food, before you know if they are doing the trick. You also have to consider any treats that you are feeding it, as they too have the main ingredients that usually set off food allergys, therefore you also need to change these too. Most of the sites Cooper listed will address allergys, so please visit them, but consider all aspects before you make a choice. Good luck to you and your beautiful Maltese.

Coco Rose answered on 9/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Cooper's answer is great. You might also want to look into the raw diet, but be sure to do your research on it before starting it.
I just started my dog on the RAW diet today.

Eukanuba dog food, this food is mainly for purebred dogs, but it is a very healthy dog food.

Joshua answered on 9/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I had the same problem with my dog! I use Prescription Diet Z/D Ultra Allergen Free! It works also the vet offers Fish oil Tablets for dogs with Allergies and they help tremendously!

Diamond answered on 9/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Holly Day Berry

I feed my dog Great Life

Use the "store locator" to find where you can buy the food near you or buy it online

Store Locator link:

I also feed my Maltese Stella & Chewy's

I love the freeze dried food The Crunch is great. It is just chicken, beef or duck

I also add Organic baby food from a jar and Cod Liver oil pet ( and a multivitamin by Standard process (

Orijen is not necessarily good for allergies because it's mix with a lot of different meats and fish. Orijen is fine if you know what your dog is allergic to and you know it's not in the food your giving him or her.

Good Luck!

Holly Day Berry answered on 6/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer