What is the difference in size, especially height, between the different types of Labs?

Asked by Member 940001 on Jan 21st 2010 Tagged lab, height, weight in Labrador Retriever

Answers

Zackintosh CJ

I assume you are talking about show or field Labs. Show Labs are stockier and shorter while Field Labs are taller and thinner. Just to clarify, show Labs are bred for conformation (to conform to the original breed standard) and field Labs are bred for working and hunting. That is the only difference that I know of in Lab size, someone who knows Labs better could probably give you a better answer.

Zackintosh CJ answered on 1/21/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

B.J., CGC

While the show lines (so called English lines), will be much more predictable, there can be great variances in labs heights and weights due to the great variances in the dogs being bred. Show labs tend to be shorter and have heavier bone, field labs have lighter bone and more height, but all should fall within the breed standards which is 22 1/2 to 24 1/2 inches for males and 21 1/2 to 23 1/2 inches for females.

B.J., CGC answered on 1/22/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Magnum NAJ O-TN-N OJC WV-N

I agree with B.J.

The two 'types' of Labradors is quite tricky. Especially when they say English for 'show' quality dogs and American for 'field' quality dogs. That's not really good terminology, because my female is an English field Lab. Her pedigree has dogs from England and Ireland who are field trial champions. There's also American show Labs. I just normally say 'field' and 'show'.

I don't mind there being some variation in Lab types, but some 'Labs' I've seen have been bred too long-legged and hyper for field trial lines, and too stocky and fat for show lines. A Lab is supposed to have to qualities of the Lab standard AND be able to hunt. Here's a link that helps explain some
<a href="www.woodhavenlabs.com Types</a>

Magnum NAJ O-TN-N OJC WV-N answered on 3/20/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer