Nina

What is the best soft carrier for my 19lbs miniature schnauzer for air travel in the cabin?

Asked by Nina on Oct 16th 2012 in Air Travel

Answers

Starbutt

in order to have your animal travel with you in the cabin you will need the dog to be small enoguh to fit under your seat OR you can buy another ticket to have you dog in a seat. this way you can get a bigger crate Yes they have to be crated airline aproved and if I am not mistaking you will have to have a vet (vetrinairain)to write out a document saying you animal is safe to fly. I use to travel with my dog long ago and this is what I had to do I was lucky she came in a crate the airline appoved of.

Starbutt answered on 10/16/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sorry, but you CANNOT buy a ticket for a seat for a dog! In order to travel in cabin the dog MUST be under a certain weight (different for different airlines, usually around 15 lbs), and must be in a crate/carrier approved by that airline. The dog must have enough room to be able to lie down fully, stand and sit in the carrier.
You need to contact your airline and see what their requirements are, as well as what health papers you will need for international travel and, in the case of any vaccinations, what time frame they must be given in.
I flew a puppy less than a month ago and he had to have his health exam and certificate not more than 10 days prior to the flight and he needed his vaccinations within 30 days of the flight. His carrier was too big for in cabin so he had to fly as cargo.