what is the best lead for a puppy

when your puppy has had its vaccs whats the best lea to take it walking

Asked by Member 977728 on Apr 15th 2010 in Collars & Leashes

Answers

watch walking puppies their joints and palates are not closed yet.
Over walking pups are unhealthy.
Yard exercise is all they need. And then you work on leash walking at home also. Drive your dog to a park that is best..... take care...

The period between 6-12 weeks is a dangerous time. One sniff where a sick dog relieved itself in the last 6 months can bring on parvo or another life threatening disease. Fail to expose it to strangers, including men, women, children, noise, etc. and you could end up with a misfit you can't take out in public. They also need continuing contact with other dogs, but it must be limited to ones you know are getting good care. See www.apdt.com

I start walking my puppies as soon as I get them at 7 weeks. I am careful about where, and if I go too far and they start to lag or stop, I pick them up and carry them.

I use a flat collar and a chain lead at first. Since my puppies are part of service dog programs, I frequently take them places where I am too distracted to make sure they aren't chewing the leash. Later, I switch to a leather leash.