Dozer

what is the best food for a french bulldog? Aso he seems to be lickig his paws more than he should......

I was given this 9 month old a few days ago. he was is on purina one sensitive formula. what else out there would be better...he is gassy..lol

Asked by Dozer on Sep 5th 2011 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

This is a thread about what to look for in a commercial dog food: www.dogster.com

Miss Maddie

French Bulldog Feeding; Frenchie with gas and digestive issues: Hi --- Oh, WE LOVE Frenchies... I would refer you to Natural Balance Duck and Potato dog food - Limited Ingredient. Excellent choice for your Frenchie.
EASY to Digest and will help to less the excessive gas. ( ALL Frenchies have some gas issues) ALSO, raised food and water dishes to arm pit level will help to lessen the intake of air. See if you can mix the Purina One and Natural Balance for 7 days at a 50:50 mix ; Then after 7-8 days go 100% to the New Duck food by Natural Balance. Need more help -
just ask me: mpmaltese@gmail.com
WE also use a few supplements - just e-mail me and I can help more.... BEST wishes

Miss Maddie answered on 9/5/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Maddie... I have had Frenchies for over 20 years and ALL FRENCHIES DO NOT HAVE GAS!!! Purina and other grocery store brands have lots of fillers in the form of corn and other carbohydrates. It is these carbohydrates that cause gas, NOT how your dog eats. NONE of my Frenchies have gas and they eat quality grain free food and get no additives nor raised dishes, etc.
A good dog food contains a named meat as a first ingredient and is free of fillers and cheap vegetables...dogs are carnavores, at least my Frenchies are, and do great on a grain free formula. No gas, no foot chewing and no doggy smell.
There are many great brands... mine eat Earthborn Holistic but others are Taste of the Wild, Blue buffalo wilderness, and many others. Refer to the link in the first post to help you find good, wholesome grain free brands.
Good luck with Dozer... he is cute!

Margaret

Hey why don't you try the Purina French Bulldog food, specifically designed for that breed :)

Margaret answered on 9/7/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Seth

i have usedthe nutro chicken and oatmeal for dogs that have sensitive stomachs. It would be alot better then purina because of no by-products and fillers. I am not a fan of anything made by purina because of the low quality products they put into the foods.

Seth answered on 9/7/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I recommend feeding a high quality dog food and stay away from the low quality dog foods because that's what's causing the problem.

I recommend feeding Orijen, Acana, Solid Gold Barking at the Moon, Solid Gold Sun Dancer, Primal Pet Foods, The Honest Kitchen, Sojos or Red Dog Blue Kat.

What's REALLY in pet food? - www.bornfreeusa.org

Stay away from Purina, Pedigree, Ol' Roy, Kibbles N Bits, Nutro, Natural Balance, Good Life Recipe, Science Diet, Royal Canin, Iams, Eukanuba, Optimum, Bil Jac, Gravy Train, Dad's Dog Food, Old Yeller, etc. Stay away from any food that contains corn, soy, wheat, by-products, un-named meats (animal fat, animal digest, poultry by-products, fish meal, meat and bone meal, etc), rice, artificial flavorings and colors, propylene glycol, BHT, BHA, water sufficient for processing and oat groats.

A raw food diet is highly recommend for a dog who shows signs or has allergies. If you're interested in feeding a raw diet, look here - www.dogster.com