What dog food should I feed my Siberian Husky

I just bought my siberian husky that I plan to show and possibly breed in the future and wondering what dog food would make her look her best. Thank you in advance:)

Asked by Member 886542 on Sep 18th 2009 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Well, here's an article I just read myself today, written by a veterinarian:
thepetcenter.com

More websites:
www.naturalpetfood.com
www.5stardog.com

I also highly recommend looking into homeprepared diets. I feed homeprepared prey model raw and even my vet, who is against raw, told me to keep it up after seeing how well my Papillon mix was doing on it. Homeprepared diets do take someone who knows what they are doing to feed properly. Here's an example of what can happen if you don't know what you are doing:
www.dogster.com
However, once you know what to do, it isn't very hard. At least, not in my experience.

Since you are thinking of breeding, I would like to show you this adittional article by myself, "So, you want to be a breeder?":
cookiemiller.tripod.com

cookiemiller.tripod.com
~Tiffany, breeder-in-training

B.J., CGC

What did her breeder recommend??? If they are showing and breeding, they are no doubt used a great food already... I would keep with what they recommended.

B.J., CGC answered on 9/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Much of what you read on the net about dog food has nothing to back it. It is all speculation about ingredients. No way can you tell if a food has enough of all the nutrients a dog needs by looking at the ingredient list. How a food is processed has much to do with whether the original nutrients are available to the dog. Marketing hype and astro turf are very common.

I concur with BJ on the breeder's food, but for a different reason. It is not that I respect the breeder's ability to select a good food, just leaving well enough alone if the dog is doing OK on it. This is even more important if it is a young puppy.

If it is something outrageously expensive or hard to find, then I would look at the ingredients to help select something reasonable that would be similar. If you change, do so slowly over a week or more.

Boston

Since you plan on showing your husky I am sure the breeder will help you. Id call and ask what they feed their huskies and what they would recommend you to feed. Boston's breeder gave me a whole list on our contract of good foods to feed and bad foods to feed. So I am sure yours will be just as helpful.

Boston answered on 9/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Chocolate

I'd say nothing below 26% protein. Natures Variety instinct is great for them.

Chocolate answered on 9/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Maverick

Mom recommends reading the ingredients! She likes Nutro Ultra. It has a protein source that is a meal first: Chicken Meal. Chicken meal is chicken just like you and I eat with most of the water and fat extracted so that it is a more concentrated protein source. Ultra also has lamb meal, salmon meal, and fresh chicken. There are no chicken by-products, ground yellow corn, artificial colors or preservatives. It also has 3.5% linoleic acid which helps skin and coat improvement!

No matter what food you switch to be sure to do it slowly over at least a week so that you don't upset her tummy!

Congrats on your new puppy!
Check it out:
www.ultraholistic.com

Maverick answered on 9/24/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I highly recommend feeding Orijen, Acana, The Honest Kitchen, Sojos, Solid Gold Barking at the Moon, Solid Gold Sun Dancer or Red Dog Blue Kat. Any of the foods I listed are some of the best food you can feed to a dog.

STAY AWAY from any foods that contain on the ingredient list - Corn, soy, wheat, artificial flavorings/colors, added colors, unnamed meats (animal digest, animal fat, digest, liver, meat and bone meal, meat by-products, animal by-products, meat meal, fish meal, etc), propylene glycol, menadione, rice, sorbic acid, sugar, sucrose, salt, dried beet pulp, egg product, brewers dried yeast, etc.

STAY AWAY from brands such as Purina, Pedigree, Royal Canin, Science Diet, Kibbles n Bits, Optimum, Authority, Cesar, Diamond, Iams, Eukanuba, Ol' Roy, Old Yeller, Pet Pride and Natural Balance.