What does it mean when my dog's pee is brown?

My dog is 13 and he sometimes makes "accidents" in the house. One day, he peed and it was brown. Could this mean Kidney failure?

We can't really take him to the vet. He doesn't like to go in cars, and we can't walk him. (back legs are weak) Hope this is the only time it's brown. Please help.

Asked by Jack on Mar 24th 2010 Tagged kidney, failure, brown, pee, vet, health in Health & Wellness

Answers

Hmmm, it could be any number of things from dehydration to kidney or even liver issues.

I'd think that it's a very good idea to take him to a vet or find one in your area that does house-calls (many do.)

At his age, not being able to walk him just the little amount it would take to get him to the car and back sounds like he's got some other issues going on.

He could also be in pain. If you've not consulted a vet yet about his legs, then it's time to do that too.Perhaps you have already, but if not.....then please do.

Jack is counting on you to help him live the rest of his life as pain free and illness free as possible and part of that means a vet visit.

Good luck, hope he's better soon.

Daisy

I think its time for a vet visit. If your dog doesnt like car rides call the vet they sometimes can give you something to help calm your dog. But it could be serious.

Daisy answered on 3/24/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I would think there's blood in his urine, which would explain the urine being brown. A vet check is defianitely in order for your big boy. It could be a UTI (which require antibiotics) or something much more serious, but only a vet can give you the answer.
All my best to you.