Sadie

what do you do with a torn paw pad

puppy has a torn paw pad

Asked by Sadie on Jul 10th 2008 Tagged paws in Emergencies & First Aid

Answers

you are the cutest little thing. you remind me of my Charley when he was your age. as for your torn paw pad. Dont know if theres anything you can do for it. I know Charelys us to get ruff and peel because of all the running he did and it always healed on it own. try to keep her off concrete for awhile. let her stay on the soft grass or carpet. if it's torn real bad i would give the vet a call and see what they have to say.or you can click on expert vet answers on the left of this page and maybe they can help you. hope your paw feels better soon

It really depends on how badly it's torn.

If it's a superficial tear, meaning it doesn't go very deep down into the paw pad, you will want to clean it out, put some antibacterial creme on it (such as Neosporin) and then just keep it clean and let it heal. Keeping it clean is probably the hardest part, especially with a young puppy. Wrapping it with vet wrap (tape that sticks to itself, not the dog) or putting a baby sock over it and taping the top of the sock up with vet wrap so it won't come off, are two solutions.

If it is deep or looks like it may be infected (red / swollen / odd smell), you should take puppy to the vet.

Mystic Angel

You may want to check your local petstore for a product called "Bag Balm". It is what my mommy uses for me and works really well. It can be gotten at a horse store or like a Petsmart and is a small green tin. Have it put on your paws a couple of times a day and they will begin healing. I hope this helps.

Mystic Angel answered on 10/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer