What can i do to help my shar pei to stop itching?

I have a 12 week old male shar pei pup, he has terroribly itchy skin...
he scratches his self so much he is getting lil sores on his sides and
behind his ears.... i dont know what to do.... my fiance was just layed
off from two jobs and we can not afford to take him to the vet right
now.... please i need some advice or help.... i feel miserable because
of this....

Asked by Member 815137 on Mar 13th 2009 in Skin Problems

Answers

Poor pup! He sounds miserable! Does he have fleas? The first thing I would do is check for fleas, some dogs are allergic to flea bites and are very sensitive to them. If he does have fleas, get him started on a topical flea preventative right away. Some good brands are Frontline, Advantage, and Vectra.

The next thing to look at would be his food. What are you feeding him? He could be allergic to something in his food. Common allergens for dogs are: corn, wheat, soy, chicken, beef, and sometimes rice. Look at the ingredient label. Don't buy dog food fron the grocery store. I would switch his food to something fish, duck, or venison based that doesn't contain any grains. One of my favorites is Natural Balance Duck and Potato, it was no grains and has a single protein source, so the dog doesn't have much to react to as far as allergies go.

hercules

oh your poor baby, it is a horrible thing for them to have the itchies, there are a few things that you can try at home that are very inexpensive that do work. my hercules has outdoor allergies, and our vet has us give him benadryl tablets twice a day. he weighs 16 pounds and takes two tablets in the morning and two in the evening. another great thing we use is fish oil gel caps, you can get them almost anywhere, we get them at the dollar tree, for a dollar and one bottle lasts three weeks, we give him one a day, and the other med is brewers yeast tablets, they sell them at the feed stores and even walmart, very cheap, like six dollars a bottle, and it will last you a while, when my hercules gets really irritated, red and itchy we use cornstarch baby powder directly on his skin, it works wonders, it soothes and cools the itch, on bad days even balmex diaper rash ointment on the worst parts, try a little canned pumpkin in his food, sounds weird, but will help. good luck and big hugs!

hercules answered on 3/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Shar Pei with itching skin: Oh Boy! sorry about this : I understand you don't have any money for the vet ...
YOU can try a few low cost options:

First. Give this puppy an oatmeal dog shampoo bath at least 2 x per week... Until his skin is better.
MOST dogs only need 1 bath per month.

Next, buy some skin/coat supplements like NuVET Plus - here is the link:
They guarantee the product or your money back
www.apluspetcare.com

Also, please give this kid some Salmon oil in his food/ Give 1 teaspoon per day of PURE salmon oil / found at most pet stores.

YOU may also want to consider a new dog food like Wellness Puppy, Innova Puppy, Eagle Pack or even a Merrick brand of puppy food. All Quality brands : YOU are what you eat...

Good luck - If the problems continue you will need to see the vet ..
Best wishes!

Gizmo (RIP 1996-2011)

Gizmo takes Benadryl, as per his vet as I do not like him on any of the prescription meds. I have also switched him to Paul Newman's organic foods, which seems to help a bit. I will admit that I learned a few things I didn't, from the other answers. Try one at a time, but first check for fleas. Gizmo is allergic to flea bites. I have to switch him to K9 Advantix as Frontline isn't working. We are loaded with feral cats here, so I can't control the flea population. Each bite, whether the flea remains or not, causes a reaction.
If all else fails, see your vet.

Gizmo (RIP 1996-2011) answered on 3/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You might want to first see what the sores forming are vet can do this by scraping skin and looking into microscope.
Then ask them for the medicated shampoo for Shar pei's they require special shampoos to cleanse the areas in between the wrinkles. And these areas can become infected with bacteria and yeast outbreaks.
They might have the shampoo you need at petsmart, and ours have a vet right inside.
But most likely you will have to go to the doctor for the shampoo.
Try looking for a holistic mix to make but probaly not, have to go to vet, see if they can help. It says for shar pei brush more, cleanse body with bacterial shampoo, any cuts or sores apply antibacterial lotion,cream, keep dog dry always, if bathed dry in the wrinkles til completely dry. Keep dog out of dirt and in house mostly unless exercising, and says Diet is Crucial good non generic food, preferable a holistic food.

Feed a decent chow and as little else as possible, seldom if ever bathe the dog, and brush it daily with a soft bristled brush. You might add a teaspoon a day of liquid cooking oil to its food.

Most dogs will do quite well on the common brands, corn and all. There is no proof they do better on premium brands. None at all.

To check for fleas, pull the hair at the base of the tail forward. If you see dark, reddish specks, it has fleas even if you don't see any. Unfortunately most of the better flea remedies come from the vet. You could try some of the OTC drops or creams you apply once a month.

Lamb and rice dog food took care of my Bichon's itching. I use Natural Choice, a little high, but Purina One has one a bit cheaper. You can get the latter at Walmart, or Natural Choice at Pets Mart. Good Luck

I have tried everything under the sun to help my shar-pei's with their itching,, and finally I found a website where a women posted that she used GSE (grapefruit seed extract) she put 10 drops in a spray bottle of water and spray the dogs, it's works great, I spray my dogs 2-3 times a week and they have not scratched at all. I also use it with Q-tips to clean out their ears 1-2 times a week, and it has helped their ears immensly,,, Please try this out, and tell everyone you know.. you can do a search online for GSE, and you'll get several websites to purchase it ..

I have two shar pie's my youngest suffers terribly during the summer months, we have tried everything and overall it cost approx £2000 on various medications and tests, Maya is suffers irritation from pollen,dust, and other air bound particles, at one point we were considering putting Maya down as she was so bad smelly itching and blood red and sore, steroids and antihistamines were prescribed from the vet. As a last ditch attempt I tried vasaline, I bout a massive pot of the stuff and Maya has improved, for over 8 months now I have covered her with vas every morning and continued with the steroids and she is a different dog, If you don't try you will never know. I know how bad it can be thank god I had pet insurance although due to the cost of the tests I cannot afford the insurance premium anymore ! But a pot of Vaseline at £1:30 has changed my shar pei from a sore red unhappy thing, to a brown, happy bouncing dog again ,

Hope this helps sorry it's long winded

Stu