We may be going into housing. They have a weight limit of 40lbs for dogs.

We got a golden retriever/great pyrenees for my 3yr old a while back. His doctor is going to be wrighting a note to the housing, stating that he needs his dog for emotional support to help with his deppression. Should a note from his doctor be enough for us to keep his dog, if we go into housing? Or do I have to get his dog certified?....and if so, how?

Asked by Daisy-may on Jan 14th 2013 in Health & Wellness
Report this question Get this question's RSS feed Send this question to a friend


  • Cast your vote for which answer you think is best!



This is one I might actually be able to help with. I'm currently trying to move with my Doberman, and finding housing that allows him has been utterly impossible.

What I found out after talking to some real estate agents and property managers is that if the dog is in fact a service dog (be it for mental or physical companionship), a doctor's note can allow an override of the breed restrictions placed by the housing complex. The issue, though, might be that the weight restriction may still exceed what they allow. Sometimes it has to do with what their insurance will allow.

I would highly recommend speaking to the landlord/management of the property you're looking into and discussing it with them, first, and find out what sort of paperwork you need in order to have your dog allowed as a service animal. Each place might require something different.

Good luck to you, and I hope this helps. :-)

Beau answered on 1/15/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer