Holly

Teach an older (4 y.o.) tricks HELP PLEASE!

My bichon frise isn't the most smart or obedient dog.
We didn't take too much notice in teaching her basic commands when she was smaller.
She is not naughty or cheeky. She only really responds to commands like come if who is asking is man in the house.
Can I still teach her tricks and how can I?
Please help
Thanks
India and Holly

Asked by Holly on Apr 14th 2012 Tagged commands, dog, bichon, frise, puppy, answer, questions, uestion, small, dog, older, oldyo, help, please, tricks, sit, stand, come, paw, catch, tell, told, obedient, smart, clever, silly, doggy, holly, white, fluffy, cute in Commands

Answers

Carter

yes you can teach her the basic commands. Since it is a long process im not going to post all the step by step commands on here. If there is a petsmart around your area they have training inside the store. If not you can ask your veterinarian the best trainer in your area.

Carter answered on 4/14/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Shasta

I recommend an obedience class. No dog is too old to learn, training is actually a lifetime commitment believe-it-or-not. I also have a 4y.o. mutt... he is still learning new tricks as well as he did when he was barely a year old! Even my labrador learned beg, paw, and "Say Boomer" when she was around 6yo.

Start with very simple training sessions.... clicker-training I've heard is a very good way to go. [I have never done it... so I suggest lots of research :)] Always use plenty of praise and reward when she minds you. :)

Best Regards! =D

Shasta answered on 4/14/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Like the others i agree it is not too late to train her. Before you teach tricks, start with basic obedience. No one likes an ill-behaved dog. They are a hazard to themselves, people, & other dogs. Small or big, a dog who does not listen is a pain!
Two excellent books on training (including some tricks)are "The Power of Positive Trainig" by Pat Miller, & "Train Your Dog Like a Pro" by Donaldson.
Training, even if you only do it during commercial breaks during your fave tv show should be fun & rewarding..for both you & your dog. Do a little bit every day & soon you will be reaping major rewards yourself.