stinky leashes!!

How to keep leashes from smelling like dog?? Our leashes always end up smelling, they are nylon and cotton web leashes. Mainly, it's the cotton web leashes that stink. Any tips on preventing them from smelling or getting rid of the smell?? I hand washed/soaked them with some detergent and that didn't help!!

Asked by Member 1008135 on Oct 25th 2010 Tagged leash, stinky, dog in Odor Eliminators

Best Answer

I put leashes and collars in a lingerie bag and run them through the washer with jeans & such. I use white vinegar and baking soda to remove odors and bacteria.

I don't use bleach as I am on a septic system and it will destroy the fabric leashes, especially cotton.

You might want to soak the cotton leads in water, baking soda and white vinegar ( fun and foamy!) Then toss them in the wash.

Snickers answered on Oct 26th.

Answers

Mini

EEK! Not sure how to prevent the smell but I Lysol Wipe mine. Seems to take most of the smell away and at least I know it kills bacteria!

Mini answered on 10/25/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

We wash all out collars and leads in the washing machine... works like a charm!

I soak mine in bleach for about 10 minutes about once a month.

cotton webbers I place in the washer with tide and line dry or lay in the sun.
Leather I place one drop of all natural shampoo on a damp cloth and run it over it. and line dry.
You can add febreeze to the washer or I love the oxiclean stuff alot.