squamous cell sarcoma

Hi, Fred was diagnosed on Feb 2 and on Feb 14 given 6-8 weeks. Today is 8 weeks 3 days ( or 2 solid calendar months) (wednesday) As of this past Monday, he wont eat. He had his first tumor removed from near his tonsil area, 2 weeks to the day he showed a tumor on his lymph node, The tumor is the size of a small egg now. I know he is having a hard time even opening his mouth... Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can feed him that doesn't involve too much chewing? We have tried yogurt and baby food... still he wont eat.
I fear this is the end.
I am scared to death.

Asked by Member 963688 on Apr 14th 2010 in Cancer

Answers

I'm so sorry to hear this.

It possible he just can't physically eat at this point.

You can certainly put some wet (canned) food in a blender and try feeding it to him with a spoon where he can more easily lick the food up and swallow without having larger pieces that are more difficult to chew up and swallow.

Sometimes your vet will have an adult formula for very ill dogs that you can give through a plastic syringe inserted into the mouth and then the food just sort of squirts back down the throat.

My concern is that swelling from the surgery could be partially blocking his throat. I'd consult the vet about this possibility and ask about feeding, too.

I know you don't want to hear this, but if he's not able to eat and he's in distress, I think this is the end. This is SO hard, I know. But when they can't/ won't eat (even baby food) and are this ill, it's usually a sign they are near the end. If Fred were mine, I'd put him down and hold him while he goes.

I'm SO so sorry.

Rufio

Jack made some very good suggestions.
I just want to add I'm sooo sorry about Fred, I know how heartbreaking it is to lose a beloved pet, especially to such a disease. Our previous dog had cancer as well, we didn't witness it get as bad as Fred because we put him down before he started to suffer. If your dog is in such distress, perhaps it's time for him to go :-(. Please hold him and be there for him when it is time, he needs you the most in this time in his life, it will be hard but you will not regret being there for him-don't leave him alone at his last moments. I'm so SO sorry.

Rufio answered on 4/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hi I'm so so sorry to hear about your dog. My dog Maggie, had fibrosarcoma, a bone cancer. We were blessed that the oncologists and my vet were able to remove her tumor before it spread. She has been cancer free for 2 yrs and 5 months now. During this time I found alot of great info and support from a couple of Yahoo groups I joined. "Canine Cancer" and "artemisinin and cancer" I highly recommend you join them and ask any questions you have of the group. They are very supportive and have gone through or are going through what you are and can provide you with some really helpful information. I'm praying that Fred gets the same doggie miracle that Maggie and I received. Good Luck. BTW Liverwurst is soft and my dog practically inhales it.