Duke

should i get a amstaff or apbt ?

i really want one but evryone says they r aggressive fighting dogs ! and they r a danger to society, but theyr actually loving animals that with the right traing, can be a loving dog ! and i know with them they do need more socialization then what other breeds might need, but i think i could handle one !
i know the media puts things out of proportion and that does not help !
can someone give me insight and a possitive outlook if i ever got one of those breeds ?

Asked by Duke on Nov 18th 2009 Tagged pitbull in American Pit Bull Terrier

Answers

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru

with any adoption ask to take your dog with you to find a potential adoptee.
You want to find a dog that gets along with your dog.
Good luck they are both nice breeds.

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru answered on 11/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Chocolate

they are pretty much the same. just bred in different places. I love staffordshire bull terriers.

Chocolate answered on 11/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I'm a former Pit owner, my girl was a loving, devoted family dog.

An AMSTAF is a dog with AMSTAF parents, grand parents, etc. Breeders should breed for good temperment only.
APBT's are frequently "engineered" for more power and are not a pure breed dog. Lets call it a breed still under construction, and there is no archechect. Pit types broaden the class further.

Issues you need to research:
1. Homeowners insurance: Some companies will drop you if you own a "dangerous" breed. If any dog you own bites, they blackball you- no dogs or no-one will cover you. A lie, even of omission, is fraud which can land you in jail. This is why I'm a "former" owner.
2. Commit to crate - You can't leave a Pit or Amstaf alone with another dog. They just play too rough!
3. Exercise needs are HUGE and vital.
4. A 6' fence most breeders and rescues require it.
5. As with any breed, they vary from mild to wild. Either way they need a firm, loving and consistant leader.

Where are you getting that info Pepper? I'd be interested in reading it, thanks! The UKC and the ADBA both recognize The American Pit Bull Terrier and they both list breed standards. The standards for the APBT have more variety than the AmStaff but standards nonetheless. Maybe you are thinking of things like the "American Bully" or certain "lines" of APBTs that have been admitted by its creators to not be pure such as "Razor's Edge".

I also disagree with the "never be left alone with another dog" thing... entirely dependent on how dog-social or dog-aggressive that particular APBT is. Some dogs definitely need to be crated when left alone with other dogs, but not all do.

For me the hardest part of being a Pit owner is dealing with the reactions of other people. Easier said than done, but you do need to develop a "thick shell".

I know and love lots of am staffs and pits! They have no problems here in our daycare and they live with other breeds and are not kept separated.
I know lots of aggressive golden retrievers that we don't allow in our daycare as well.

Rupert

Hi Duke!

I am a Pit mix, but nobody knows what I'm mixed with - maybe Lab? I am about five months old now, and I know how to sit and "off!" When we go out to do errands or go to the dog park, my mommy is starting to get questions like: "What kind of dog is that?" She just answers, "Brown." BOL!

I sleep in my crate and spend the day with my human dad and my "big sister," Katie, who is very well socialized. She teaches me what I'm not allowed to do, and she plays and cuddles with me. I am learning how to behave with other dogs at the park. Sometimes, I get excited and growl and bark too loud. Then my mommy takes my collar and walks me away. She knows I'm not going to hurt the other dog, but she says the other owners worry because I look like a scary dog.

Our job is to help me always be a good dog, so I am going to get some professional training, too.

There are so many great Pits, Staffies, and mixes out there - I am sure you can find a buddy to rescue, train, and love. Good luck!

Rupert answered on 11/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

AA's Ultra-Violet

I'm not gong to answer your Vs. part of the question, but I currently have 2 APBT's. One is a senior "rescue" dog and the other is a working show dog. Both are sweet, loving, loyal members of my family. My working girl Violet is a working Therapy Dog, has Obedience titles, Weight Pull titles, and has earned her Championship from the UKC. My rescue girl Lucy is just a snuggly lump on the couch BOL!! I also have a cat in my home and both of the dogs handle her well, Violet and the cat sleep together at night. Both love people and get along great!

They can be great dogs, but do require more work than your average dog. That just means you have to exercise them more and they have to have top notch Obed! It always looks better when an owner is walking a well behaved pittie!

I will never leave dogs together unsupervised regardless of breed, all it takes is for one small spat over something for you to have a dead dog. I have heard of a Chihuahua killing another dog while the owner was away.

AA's Ultra-Violet answered on 2/6/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bella

I currently own an APBT and an Am Staff.. Both great NON agressive dogs! A tired bully is a happy bully! Lots of exercise, devotion, and a strong willed owner! They do play rough, but as the alpha and owner, it's your job to draw the line and them respect it!!

Bella answered on 3/29/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I say you get whatever your heart desires but if I had to pick one I would pick Pitbull. My dog Shadow pup is a pitbull mix.

Sally (dead)

I reccomend an Amstaff! I have an american staffordshire terrier too & they are the best. If it's raised right, they have the brightest personality and are very playful. They are no danger to the community and will act like any other dog. Because of being related to Pit Bulls, they get a bad rap. But they are really sweet. Your friend, Alley.

(P.S, Duke is adorable!)

Sally (dead) answered on 9/26/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer