Should I bathe my dog now?

My puppy is really stinky but i went online and i found out his breed (rat terrier) needs bathing ever 6 months.

Asked by Member 991792 on Jul 23rd 2010 Tagged bathing, grooming, puppies in Bathing

Answers

Brutus

You can still bathe your dog. I don't understand what you mean by this question. Of course you can give your dog a bath, and it is reccomended that Rat Terriers get a bath a few times a year, even if they aren't stinky. It just gets anything out of their coat or skin that may be hanging in there. If your dog is dirty or stinky, then its fine if you give them a bath. Be careful how much you bathe your dog, however. Too much bathing can result to dry and itchy skin. Please paw mail me if you have any other questions.

Brutus answered on 7/23/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Vivace

I have two breeds that aren't suppose to have baths often. We don't follow the 6 month rule. If they are stinky they get a bath. I don't bath more than every 4 months though because it can strip away the natural oils in their fur. If they get dirty or stinky between that time I just give them a quick rinse with warm water and rub them down with an old towel to get the dirt off.

Vivace answered on 7/24/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I find that some breeds are stinky then others. Like my shepherd she gets like two baths a year.
Then the other ones like every 6 months and that is pushing it.
I did notice that the ones coat is a little less stinky since I feed her raw.
I do believe that some dogfoods do cause dogs to smell slightly more.
Have you considered feeding them a fish based food.?
You can also use a different shampoo. I use ones that are more natural with no artifical colors, scents, and additives like sulfates.
The natural stuff extends the good smells longer I think it does.
I can't find petpromise anymore but there is others like Earthbound and solid gold herbal if you can find it.

Here's the thing about going online and looking up information....if you look at three different sources, you'll get three different types of information.

Yes, some dogs are susceptible to cold more than others. And a rat terrier is one of those breeds. Low body fat and a very hard (short) coat can mean the dog gets hypothermia or is more prone to pneumonia even if the dog is bathed and dried properly in what seems like ideal conditions.

And it's true that very young puppies should never be bathed unless there is a real reason to (medical issue or being sprayed by a skunk, etc.) And in those cases, they can be bathed by the vet's office.

If you really feel she's smelly, ask your vet what they think you should do. There may be a reason why she smells badly (intestinal parasites like worms or even a disease like parvo can cause a bad odor, puppies don't usually smell bad for no reason.)

If she's healthy, you can certainly bathe her more often than twice a year when she's an adult.

Petri

I would give the puppy a bath. For your own sake and hers! I believe most terriers tend to have oilier skin which gets worse if you bathe them all the time? A groomer told me this, but I have never had a terrier myself so take it as you wish. If you want a very gentle shampoo that will not harm her skin or hair, check out www.myPETfection.com. They offer Puppy Suds Shampoo which is 100% Organic and Non Toxic. I love it because it contains no chemicals or artificial ingredients, I find it to clean really well and rinse super easy, and it has a great light smell! Hope this helps.

Petri answered on 7/26/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Prissy

Since your puppy's really stinky, it would be just fine to go ahead and bathe him. In addition to giving him a bath, I also recommend brushing him on occasion to remove any dead hair. You don't have to brush him often, just occasionally.

Good luck, and I hope bath time goes smoothly for you.

Prissy answered on 9/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer