Seemingly potty trained shelter dog now pooping in the house

6 months ago I adopted a corgi / blue heeler mix. When I brought him home he was terrified of the crate, no matter how pleasant I tried to make it or if I exercised him to exhaustion every day. I tried everything from hiding treats in the crate, giving him peanut butter kongs and even tried the xanax my vet recommended. After two weeks he got physically aggressive when it was time for him to go in. So I just left him out and he had no accidents and wasn't destructive.

I've been leaving him out since but four days ago, the pooping started. I take him on long walks and give him as much exercise I can. I started giving him special treats when he did his business outside but he'll poop outside and then poop again in the house 30 minutes after his walk. He did it right in front of me today I told him NO! brought him out, but he didn't finish pooping.

He won't go near the crate, even if there is delicious steak pieces inside. So I can't see it being a viable option... please help

Asked by Member 1148682 on Jan 7th 2013 Tagged pottytraining, cratetraining, previouslyabusedshelterdog in Behavior & Training

Answers

Mine is like that (minus the potty issues) so I can commiserate. Instead of a crate you might try a baby gate or an exercise pen so he stays in an area easy to clean. Make sure you clean the accidents with enzymatic cleaner. (I suggest a black light to check for anything you might have missed)

I would suggest having your vet check a stool sample to rule out intestional parasites. It is possible he has some and they are causing more frequent elimination, especially since he was clean prior.