Receintly adopted dog won't go poop in our yard. How can we get him to poop there?

He will go to the dog park and poop there but not in the yard. He does not get along with other dogs so the dog park is not always always a great place to take him.

Asked by Member 1084247 on Jan 13th 2012 in Bringing Your Pet Home

Answers

This might sound a little odd, but maybe you could bring home some turf or dirt (with the smell of other dogs poop on it) from the park to your house? Perhaps the smell would attract him to go there.

Another trick I've read is this, from WoodhavenLabs.com:
How To Match Your Dog To Make It Poop
Take one or two paper matches and put the sulfur tips briefly in your mouth to wet them.

Straddle your dog facing its butt.

Pull the tail out of the way and insert the now wet sulfur tips of the matches in your dog’s anus. Deep enough that just the ends of the matches are visible and hang out just a tiny bit.

Release the dog.

Usually the dog will start squatting almost immediately to expel the matches. If the dog doesn’t, then you can repeat the steps above.

Do not insert more than 4 matches at a time. Rarely do you need to use 4 matches but some dogs are more stubborn than others.

When the dog squats to expel the matches, it will usually poop too. Don’t forget to clean up after your dog.

Bruno, matches work by BURNING the dog's rectum and are not very humane at all! I don't know about you but sticking sulfer up my behind to cause it to burn enough so I defecate does not sound pleasant or even healthy. I cannot believe so many people still recommend doing that!!!
PLEASE, Guest, do not resort to that type of cruelty!!
I do agree that by taking some of his feces and placing it in your yard it may help. Also, many dogs will get the urge to go when being walked so you could make sure you have him on leash and walk him around and around your yard. Just standing in one place seldom works.
Another idea would be to get a pee pad and place that in your yard where you want him to go. The dog ones are scented with an attractant and should help him realize it is okay to go there.
Finally, have a treat party when he DOES go, and give him a command word such as hurry up so you can be training him to go on command.