Puppy-Proofing Advice?

I'm new to puppy ownership and I'm looking for advice on how to puppy-proof a home that has never had dogs in it before. Not sure exactly what kind of puppy it will be, but it will be a small or a toy breed that will have shih tzu and/or maltese in it. This is my summer project, as the puppy will hopefully be coming home with me in August, so I could use all the advice I can get!

Asked by Member 1175402 on Jun 26th 2013 Tagged puppy, proofing, new, small, toy, shihtzu, maltese in Adoption & Rescue

Answers

Before and After you get your puppy by Ian Dunbar is a good place to start researching puppy ownership. As for puppy proofing, puppies are like babies and will put everything in their mouth and chew it. You will want to pick up everything off the floor including anything you do not want eaten (cords, shoes, clothes, phones...etc) Get down on the puppy's level and check from there if there is anything.

Odd as it sounds..get on your knees & crawl around to get a better sense of what your pup will see. Any dangling cords? Speaker wires? Magazines in a rack? Remotes or game controllers? Plants? hanging table cloths?
Invest in a good laundry hamper & a good shoe tree. Look at how easy cupboards are to open. Either put cleaning solutions in inaccessible spot or put child proof lock on the cupboard. Check how easy it is to get into trash.
Start scouting out a good spot for her crate/bed/feeding spot.
Basically..if it looks chewable..move it or make it *unchewable

It’s best to start in a particular location. Dogs that have been freshly introduced into a new environment will not only need to be confined to smaller areas, but will actually feel more comfortable in them. This is because there are new sounds, scents, and activity that they won’t necessarily understand. Additionally, it’s about their safety as well. This means that you’re going to be cleaning up the house and getting ready for a small and curious companion who will undoubtedly find interest in just about everything.

Power cords are a big issue, especially around the holidays. Not only can they be chewed on, but they can also be a tripping hazard for young puppies who haven’t quite gotten a hold of their balance yet.

Chewable items can be just about anything, and the smaller they are, the more dangerous. Controllers, devices (electronics like your Xbox), cell phones, and even loose change can all be attractive items to nibble on or swallow.

Cody

Like the others said, anything small is bad. In my experiences, my puppies (both of them) liked to climb underneath the sofa and chew on the wood and leather and tore up the whole bottom part of my couch and we had to get one that they couldn't fit under. Either make sure they can't get under there by putting some storage bins to block their space or, if you can, invest in a new couch. When puppies teethe, they chew on EVERYTHING. I bought some all natural bitter cherry (no bite) spray from the pet section at any pet store and sprayed table legs, beds, shoes, etc. It worked wonders. Get a baby gate and/or a crate as well so the puppy has a small area to call it's home and feel safe in. When my dogs aren't feeling well or are afraid, they often like to go into their beds (crates) for comfort and when new people come over, we tell them "go to bed" because they get really startled when they see a new person in the house for the first couple of minutes.

Cody answered on 8/6/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer