Puppy destroy shoes

Hello,

I have recently buy a puppy, a jack russell, he is very energetic and a little 'mad' sometimes. But yesterday late at night I caught him chewing my shoes. My point is, how to train him not to destroy my shoes?

Asked by Member 1231151 on Aug 20th 2014 in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

Angelina

Either YOU need to keep your house "puppy proofed" or you need to keep him confined until he grows out of the puppy stage.
I have a new puppy and if I am not constantly watching her she is either in a small pen or is in her crate.
While watching her, every time she goes to chew something she isn't allowed I tell her "no chew" and replace what she is chewing with one of her chew toys.
Confining to a crate or a pen is especially important at night when you are sleeping.
Until he is MUCH older he will be a puppy and that is what puppies do!!

Angelina answered on Aug 22nd.

Answers

Put your shoes away so he can't get to them. If he does get your shoes you could trade him for a chew toy. Make sure he gets A LOT of exercise so that he is tired. A tired pup is not as mischievous.