pregnant dog about to give birth, with vomiting and diarrhea the past two days, how concerned should i be?

I'm looking after a 3 year old cocker spaniel about to give birth within the next few days. today and yesterday she's been vomiting almost immediately after eating and has had diarrhea. I know that when dogs are about to give birth, they forgo food to prepare their bodies, so how worried should I be? She's not my dog, but her owners don't seem to be very concerned about getting her to the vet anytime soon. Is there anything I can do at home?

Asked by Member 930141 on Dec 14th 2009 Tagged pregnancy, puppies, health, vomiting, diarrhea in Illness & Disease

Answers

B.J., CGC

If she were mine she would be at the vets as fast as I could drive!!! I have bred dogs for over 40 years and never had anything like that before! Sounds like a big problem to me.

B.J., CGC answered on 12/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Yes, without a vet you can dig a hole...
Get the dog to a vet, who SAYS she is to deliver "in a few days" she may have a puppy wedged in the birth canal right now. If the "owners" won't provide care or $$$ contact the humane society. This is ridiculous, (not picking on you) owners should ALWAYS be responsible for their pets. Bet if she delivers those pups come time to sell, they'll be PLENTY interested.
As the above poster said, I too have bred dogs many years (30) and have never seen this!

There's really nothing you can do at home to help her, she definitely needs to see a vet. You're right that some unusual behavior is normal before birthing. It's not unusual for dogs to be feeling a bit TIRED before giving birth, but this is definitely not normal and could be indicative of a serious issue that can cost this dog her puppies or her life.

Definitely get her to the vet and let her owners know that she needs medical care now.

Good luck.

Hailey May

I agree with all the other posts. This poor dog needs to go to the vet. And if the "owners" aren't wanting to take her, then you do need to call the humane society. That dogs needs taken away from them. They shouldn't be getting it back, because they probably only bred her for money. This is wrong, well good luck!

Hailey May answered on 12/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

They should be concerned a sick mother dog about to give birth is not a good thing. I think a little upset tummy for a little bit is ok, but for 2 days? that is too long.
This could also be a sign the dog is already been in labor and is in great distress. Tell you friends that maybe you will just call the humane society and tell them how the dog is to deliver but is sick for a long period and they refuse to get her help.
This could be life threatening for the mother dog.
The best thing you can do is make the call to help her or take her to the vet's yourself. If she has never been to the vet that is bad also.
The shelter can take her , birth her babies, c-section, and spay her so they can be the best choice in situations like this.
good luck.