Petsmart won't allow me at Doggie Day Camp.

Mom wanted to put me in it to meet new pups and be socialized but this is what they said this:

Dogs at least five months of age
Dogs who have been socialized with
other dogs but are not of the “bully
breed” classification!!

†Dogs in the "bully breed" classification (e.g. American Pit Bull Terriers, Miniature Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, American Bull Dogs, Bull Terriers or mixed breeds that have the appearance or characteristics of one of these breeds). For the safety of all animals and associates, and at the discretion of PetSmart, some pets may not be permitted.

Is this ridiculous or what? Where will it end?
My mom had argued over and over "What if there's an agressive poodle? Or a Labrador?? Why not other breeds??? This is really stupid

Asked by Member 1140248 on Feb 6th 2013 in Laws & Legislation

Answers

so what is your question? They are a private business & can set their own rules, regardless of silly they are. I wouldn't want them to take care of my pup with that attitude. Plenty of better places out there

SNEAKERS

There are rules all over the place. If you don't like PetSmart's rules, buy the company and change them. Personally, I'm VERY glad that PetSmart assumes the responsibility of regulating the exposure of aggressive breeds to other animals at their facilities, and their staff as well. Keep your "attack" dog locked up, and your Liability Insurance up to date. The demonstration of ill temperament in dogs, is NOT the dog's fault, but how it is raised and trained by it's owner. I've owned Pitties which were the sweetest most friendly dogs in my neighborhood.

I had not previously thought to board my animals at PetSmart, but I am now.

SNEAKERS answered on 2/7/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I agree that it is really stupid but that is just the way it is. There are plenty of other places that would love to help you socialize your pup. You could also have doggie play dates with friends you meet in training classes that you like or that you meet in the park or in the pet store. Just going on walks daily to see new people, new things and new animals really helps keep a dog socialized.

Tessie B Poochi

You stated dogs in the "bully breed" then listed dogs that were originally bred to fight bulls. Bull fighting has been outlawed but we are still trying to stop "cockfights" and "dog fights." PetSmart has made a ruling. You may be able to find another dog training class in your area that does allow these dogs. The classes are often listed in the yellow pages.

Tessie B Poochi answered on 2/7/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

1. companies can make up any policy they want despite you agree or not, you have 2 choices, either suck it up and tell them you will take the business elsewhere or try suing them but that won't work

2. the policy is based on past history and statistics which they are not ready to take chances as they can be sued if anything happens and they aren't ready to be sued and pay $$$ with these breeds, yes there may be a dangerous poodle but compared to their list, the chances are more rare based statistics of breeds

Its like saying that a criminal killer is known to have a 99% chance to kill and well a regular person has no past histories of killings has a fifty fifty chance to kill, most people will shut the door on the criminal killer instead of the fifty fifty if the have to make a choice of the two. Yes it gets frustrating because you are emotional and love your dog, but business people don't want to take risks so better to visit local private small pet boutique that welcomes ur dog &U