Dob

One adult dog bitten my puppy. How to remove this fear ?

Please help me. I asked many times this question in different forum, but not received any good answer.
My 8 month old GSD puppy has been bitten by an adult stray dog. After that he fears to all stray dog (small or medium size, any dog). And here are a lots of stray dog available. Please give me any Idea that I can remove his fear..
How he'll over calm with his fear of dog ?

Asked by Dob on Jul 16th 2012 Tagged gsdpuppy in Fears & Phobias

Answers

He needs to be desensitized of his fear. If you join training classes, he will see the other dogs are not mean. The trainer can help you with suggestions to help you and your dog cope with the fear. The local shelters or SPCA usually offers classes. Good Luck!

Milo

I would get him into a group obedience class. Make sure that you are not letting him go up to just any other dog, try to find a dog that is friendly but calm (that is not going to try and play rough with your dog or jump on him). Dont force the dogs to be near each other, stand and talk to the owner of the calm dog and explain what happened with your dog and be patient, let your dog come up to the calm dog at his own pace, reward him for smelling the other dog (even if it is at a distance) and when running into strays, dont make a big deal of it....just ignore the stray and keep walking. Overcoming fear is a long process, he may never want to run up to a strange dog and play with it but teaching him to at least co-exist without being scared is the most important thing. I know that you will be able to get him over this, Maggie and Milo were both fear aggressive towards people when I got them from the rescue. The most important thing to remember, is dont force him and be patient.

Milo answered on 7/17/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer