Drogo

Neutering

Hello!! I got drogo Neutered 3 days ago, the first two days he was very calm and stayed on his bed or walked a little. Today he seems to be very well but im concerned because he is running every time we come to the yard to see him and keeps walking from here to there like he did before. Any suggestions on what should I do?? Or there isnĀ“t any risk?? I checked the injury and it seems to be pretty well.

Asked by Drogo on Jun 3rd 2012 in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

Sounds like a successful operation. Great! Now comes the tough part..keeping a lid on that energy until the stitches come out/dissolve. Walking is fine, but discourage vigorous running, twisting, or stretching. This can easily pop a stitch..leading to bleeding and possible infection. Trip back to the vet..more money...longer recovery.
You can crate him or tether him to you. I would not leave him outside unsupervised. He should be inside where you can monitor his recovery & keep him from licking at the incision site. Get an e-collar...that is elizabethan..or cone of shame, if you prefer, lol. This will keep him from licking and a lot of times helps keep the dog from running around too much.
You sound like a conscientous person, and you know your dog, so use your instincts. :)

Bentley

My dog was really hyper as well once we had him altered. I just kept him on a leash outside and kept an eye on him inside and he wore a cone haha, so he wouldn't lick it.

Bentley answered on 6/3/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

COCO

if he is too active their is a possibility for a hematoma which is a blood vessel rupture in the area where he was neutered.If this happens you will see a big swollen, hard bump, and it can be life threatening and thus means going under anesthesia again. also be careful to keep your dog's stitches monitored for infections which can appear.
remember to keep your dog supervised until his stitches or staples come out, after that you should be home free.

COCO answered on 6/4/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer