Tripp

My white Pitbull has sensitive skin and stomach. He has had some bumps on his back for a few days now.

They don't seem to bother him, but I am concerned because his fur seems a little thin where they are. One scabbed up and came off and I put neosporin on it. What else should i do? Benadryl? (It is not demodex, he had that as a puppy and i know all about mange...)

Asked by Tripp on Jan 8th 2009 Tagged skin, allergies in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Bianca

You might be able to try an antihistamine and see if that helps, but call your veterinarian to find out what the right dosage is for your dog. They can either give you medicine there or give you dosages for over-the-counter ones. Bianca got some bumps like that after playing in some tall weeds, and antihistamines worked for her. She never got scabs though, so it could be something else.

Bianca answered on Jan 8th.

Answers

Miss Buddie

Sounds like an allergy. Have you changed his food or has he come in contact with anything new? Cleansers, stuff outside?

A trip to the vet is probably in order. You have to be careful with topical Benadryl because it gets into their systems through their skin and it's easy to overdose.

Miss Buddie answered on 1/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Capone

Capone gets them a couple times a year. It is more common in some breeds. It is allergies and I usually get an antibotic from the vet and bathe him with medicated shampoo and it clears right up with in a few weeks

Capone answered on 1/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Lily

What food are you feeding him? A lot of dogs have food allergies that cause these type of skin problems to occur. A great food that is specially formulated for sensitive skin is California Natural. It's an amazing food with no bi-products or anything yucky that your dog shouldn't be eating! I'd try switching his food, maybe even to a lamb or fish formula if he isn't already eating one (both are available through California Natural). If he still has problems after the food switch, I'd take him to the vet and maybe get a skin culture or blood test. Hope this helps! :]

Lily answered on 1/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer