Henley

My rescue dog doesn't drink enough water- HELP!!

I'm wondering how to get my dog to drink more water. I adopted Henley, a Lhasa/Tzu mix, from the humane society last June.

I believe he had been kept crated for long periods of time before I got him; he is perfectly housetrained, but doesn't drink enough water. I thought with time, he might realize that he isn't crated, gets four walks daily now and would gradually increase his water intake.

I have water bowls in almost every room of our house, use filtered water, and have a water fountain in the kitchen for him to encourage him to drink more.

I'm just concerned that he could damage his kidneys or bladder by not drinking enough; his urine is electric yellow, and he often continues to stand with his leg hiked for a time after he has stopped urinating.

Has anyone got any good tips or advice on how to get him to drink more?? My vet says he's healthy and will drink when he's thirsty, but I would like to encourage him to drink more frequently.

Asked by Henley on Feb 23rd 2011 Tagged water, drinking, urinatingmore in Health & Wellness

Answers

Lexie

Check this link out www.dogster.com

Lexie answered on 2/23/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ginger-  M.I.A.

Try putting water on his meals. I did that for Ginger because her pee was sometimes very dark yellow (almost orange or brown.) I used an equal amount of water to food (one cup water, one cup kibble.) I used warm/hot water because it softened the food and made it gravy-like. I also put water on my cats food because male cats are predisposed to bladder stones, I don't want that to happen.

Also try offering salt-free broth, either canned or homemade. Salty broth will actually dehydrate him, but unsalted may be just the thing for him. Don't leave it out all day, it could spoil. Offer him a healthy amount several times a day.

Your vet is probably right, it doesn't sound like anything is wrong with Henley, but adding more liquid to his diet certainly can't hurt and may reduce the chance of bladder stones, UTIs, and kidney disease down the road.

Ginger- M.I.A. answered on 2/23/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Wilson

Try getting "Ice Pups" from The Honest Kitchen. It comes in a powder form and you mix it with water to make a broth. I give it to Wilson to encourage him to drink more when his urinary tract issues flare up. He loves it and it really helps.
You can order it here: www.thehonestkitchen.com

Wilson answered on 2/23/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Stumpy

show him drinking is good. like lead him to the water using encourging words. then point to the water. or try to bottle feed him water afer he hasent drinken for over 2 hours. try taking him to a dog park for a long time so thet he drinks water when he is playing or take him on a long walk and encourage him to drink during or after the walk.

Stumpy answered on 2/23/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

To hydrate my dog I mix his water with unflavored pedialyte. Also if he isn't drinking a lot I will back off the treats since there very high in sodium. Putting water in his food is very smart too.

Ice cubes are great treats. My sister ran into this problem with her Weimaraner. Ice cubes became the new treats, but since the behavior seems persisitent i'd definitely see the vet or call (if it's a decent vet office someone should be able to give you some advice over the phone). :)