My Red Nose pit mixed with Fox Hound just growled an snapped at me. He's Ears were back an he was showing teeth.

He's 4yrs old an I've had him since he was born. He's one of the Best Dogs I've Ever had. He's Very Smart, super playful an just a good all around dog even friends with cats. But it scared me when he did that it was SO out of Character. He looked like he was having a nightmare So when I woke him up he did that. What could b a reason for what he did? Since he did that he's been shy an if I go up to him his tail go between his legs. He knows he did wrong. We are Super close an always have been but I need some kind of Anwser.

Asked by Member 1140438 on Nov 13th 2012 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

It is just a reaction from being abruptly woken up. It's not something he is consciously doing. Remember the phrase "let sleeping dogs lie"....

It does sound like you startled him, but I'm concerned about how he's reacting now. What did you do when he snapped at you? Yell? Punish? He is showing fear responses now, so whatever you did has affected him. He appears to be afraid of you. He does NOT know he did anything wrong. He's a dog..they don't think that way.
I would do a vet check if he doesn't perk up soon. Many dogs resort to aggressive responses when they are in physical pain.