Timber

My puppy won't stop biting us!

She is a 5month old Shepherd/Rott mix. At first it was cute and we would say "no" or tap her snoot or walk away and figured she was just teething. I'm certain it's still the same case as I'm finding teeth in the house so she must be still teething but the biting is getting worse. When we're sitting on the couch, she'll jump up and lunge at us, mouth wide open. She bites on to legs, arms, hands, butts, faces. Even though she's still too small to do much damage, it's scaring me bc I know if it doesn't stop, one day she could do big damage and that's not okay with me. We continue to walk away, yelp, say "no", pin her down to show her dominance... but she continues and comes right back at you. Exercising and tiring her out helps. Should we be worried yet?

Asked by Timber on Jul 9th 2012 in Aggression

Answers

Puppy biting is probably the most common difficulty in puppy raising. A lot of dogs find "hands-on" interventions (such as grabbing her mouth, pushing her away, or pinning her) stimulating instead of punishing (they think it's all play), so it has the opposite effect you intend.

I would put her in a time-out space where she can't come back and keep playing after she gets rough with you. An ex-pen could be good for this, or put up baby gates in your house to limit her freedom.

You might also want to start bite games with a tug toy with her- it sounds wrong to use biting to stop biting, but it's not- it would give her an acceptable outlet for her desire. Praise and encourage her when she bites the toy, and play lots of tug with her.

Also I would work on teaching her some self-control commands, like sit, stay, lie down, go to your mat, etc.

Try enrolling in a class or hiring a trainer if things get out of hand!

Any time she started mouthing me, I would say, "No!" and replace my body part with something she CAN chew on, like a Nylabone or a Kong. Then I would praise her like the dickens if she chews that instead (lots of very happy "Good girl!"s and some pats). She wants to please you, she just isn't sure what your expectations are, so you have to make them clear.

Chewing is pretty natural for a pup, so she'll need to know where she can and cannot chew, and using toys and exercise to channel that energy--just like you would with children--is a great way to avoid negative behavior and help her to be a happy, polite dog.

She's adorable! Best of luck with her!

Murphy

Pinch her lip against her teeth for a second and say NO in a loud firm voice.not too hard or long just enough for her to get the sensation of being bit. Make sure you are not yelling or angry when you do this. This imitates the behavior she would experience she would have when biting siblings and teaches boundaries with you. Don't use her name with the NO command. Just NO and the pinch. This worked pretty well with our 4 month old pup now just the NO is working with biting and some other things. Best of luck with your puppy.

Murphy answered on 7/11/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

She is just playing ... sometimes pups without siblings or those who left their mothers too early haven't been taught acceptable limits in play biting. Attempts to stop her by any physical means just makes her think you've joined in the game.Along with a "NO!" , squirt her square in the face with plain water from a squirt bottle. My dog hated it and I only had to do it 3 times before he stopped. After that, I just had to show him the bottle...end of game :) Good luck.