Henry

My puppy wont leave my side...ever.

Henry is almost 4 months old. When Im home he is ALWAYS with me. He wont let me get as far as the next room before he is right back under my feet. Even when my partner is home he will not sit with him unless I am in there with them, and he wont eat unless Im in sight. The only time he will leave a room on his own is when he goes to his puppy training pads. He also sleeps with us on the bed, I tried keeping him on the floor in his bed but as soon as he cant see me he panics. I worry that it might be separation anxiety

Asked by Henry on Dec 2nd 2009 Tagged separationanxiety in Behavior & Training

Answers

This is somewhat normal for a puppy of this age. At least to a certain extent. From Henry's point of view, you're his whole world. There was a mother dog and litter-mates, then everything changed and you and your partner are his new family. He looks to you for fun, food, guidance and everything in between. It's natural for him to want to be with you at all times and know where you are. He's totally dependent upon you and is still a baby.

Now, where this crosses the line is when it starts to become separation anxiety. It's hard to tell if your dog is developing this or not, but I'd say it could be likely from what you describe.

Boosting a dog's confidence with training, a very strict schedule (dogs love to know what to expect and when, so walks and feeding and even planned play sessions at the same time every day help a dog a lot) can ease tension. So can time. A lot of dogs grow out of the need to be right next to you as they start to become more confident.

Shiver Me Timbers

I agree that it's somewhat normal. A puppy will follow around who they feel is leader and tend to get under foot a lot. Especially at such a young age. As for not eating unless you're there, that could definitely be a sign of separation anxiety. I wouldn't over blow it to be that much though, as he's still very young. I got my Beagle over a year ago and he still won't eat his meal unless I'm in the same room.

Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie" answered on 12/2/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Found this in the Dogster breed info link:

Being people-oriented dogs, King Charles Spaniels crave companionship and attention, rewarding their owners with equal amounts of affection. Don’t ignore them or leave them alone for too long: They can get depressed, lonely and sometimes batty.

You've got yourself a cute puppy.

it probably is, my pug is the same way. Something must've happened b4 we aquired our dogs, or that is the nature of the beast. That's why I'm trying to get some help with my account, so I can find out more about pugs. Please check out my email about signing up, maybe you could help me. Is your dog a cocker or maybe in the pekinese family? The latter of the two are in the pug family, could be a trait.....

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru

I have had one of those shadow dogs for the last 5 yrs. I love it, you will get use to it.
That means your dog is loyal to you and you are his world.
Feel good that you are so loved.:)
Henry is adorable.

Bridget aka Bad Pants, Ruby Ru answered on 12/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Nibbles

What a cute blenhim boy! Cavaliers are very loving. Both Jack and Cindy had good advice. I'd slowly build his confidence about being away from you. Nibbles LOVES his Kong and that makes leaving him easier. Being a cavalier he is very affectionate and often likes to cuddle on the sofa or sleep at our feet. Since he has turned one years old he can be independent and likes to go off and "cave' under the piano or in the dinding room. Just depends on his mood. Cavaliers are NOT one person dogs. Try having youir partner get more involved like feeding and walking him. Nibbles definetly loves the one he's with!

Nibbles answered on 12/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Seth

I have a velcro dog that when i am in the back yard he is at my side. if i move he moves right after me. I dont mind at all, it is kind of nice to know he is there. It is kind of comforting to me to know he is there.

Seth answered on 12/3/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

chloe

we have always had our dogs from birth on, so we know nothing ever happened to them. chloe is our 4th 'velcro dog' our cats were always velcro pets too.its just who they are! we love it. patchis loved me so much, that we used to tease her by saying if she could be me... she would be me! she was always sitting on my feet, moving into the spot i was, barely giving me time to remove myself from that spot! we had knee-high for 10 wonderful years as our velcro dog, then when she passed on, we got patchis. who was my velcro dog for 11 wonderful years! now she passed on, and we have rocky and chloe. now i have TWO dogs doing it! its comforting, and makes us feel warm and loved. dogs don't have hands to do the dishes, or money to buy you flowers! the only way they have to show you that they love you................ is by giving themself to you! and when you accept it, you learn to step around them, and embrace their love. so go enjoy your puppy!

chloe answered on 5/7/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer