Lily Anne Grace

my puppy is losing her hair?

I have a yorkie maltese mix puppy. The first picture I got of her she had a lot of hair, the day I picked her up she had less and now to weeks later she is thinning to the point I can see her pink skin. She is 13 weeks old and I did take her to the vet and he said she is healthy other than she has giardia which she is now on antibiotics for. I have to other dogs and three cats so I am afraid if she has something contagious that my other pets are going to catch it too and I am afraid she is going to be bald! She seems healthy other then the hair loss, she eats, plays pees and poops fine. What could be causing this? Are there specific tests I should ask the vet to perform?

Asked by Lily Anne Grace on Sep 14th 2012 Tagged hairloss, puppy, giardia in Shedding

Answers

Carter

Ask for a allergy test. and skin scrapings. she could be allergic to her food or something outside, or she could have something on her skin thats irritating the skin allowing the hair to fall out.

Carter answered on 9/14/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Much like puppy teeth puppies lose their puppy coat and it is replaced by their adult coat. In some dogs this changeover is slower than in others and leaves them with a thin coat until the adult coat is completely grown in. Perfectly normal.

Ikan

I agree with the puppy coat is just coming off. But make sure you are also feeding a good quality food. Thus will help with coat also

Ikan answered on 9/16/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer