My puppy has a loss of appetite and he drinks very little and he like squirted out liquid brown poop with little blood!

I am going to see a vet tomorrow but he has gotten really skinny and won't even look at the food also I saw a white rice shaped thing in his liquid poop but I'm not sure if it was from him

Asked by Member 1144971 on Dec 12th 2012 in Health & Wellness

Answers

tessa

hello glad your going to the vet..it could be worms/parasites...my shih tzu had the same alot of blood and with alot of tests my vet said it was inflammatory bowel disease..which now im only giving her.homemade cooked chicken and rice and vegetables..the dog food on the market was causing it all..she has been on it now for 2 years and doing good...but it sounds the same because worms usually make them want to eat and my dog lost alot of weight..and i couldnt get her to eat at all..its very painful ..do not give her any beef or pork and keep her on a bland diet of rice and chicken for now ..good luck at the vets

tessa answered on 12/12/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Molly

He may be dehydrated and losing the little water in his body through his feces. It seems he is in a very bad condition and that the ailment is coming from his stomach, considering he seems to have diarrhea. He may have worm or internal parasites. If he has any serious diarrhea or vomiting or becomes unconscious, call a vet immediately and don't wait another minute to take him to the nearest animal hospital.

Molly answered on 12/12/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Have you tried tempting him with just some clear broth or a mix of rice and cooked ground beef? Also, try some Pepcid and Immodium to ease the stomach symptoms. This vet's website offers dosage amounts by weight for over the counter medications:

www.walkervalleyvet.com

Poor little dude. Good luck to both of you.

He's got WORMS. Keep your vet appointment tomorrow. Scoop/slorp some stool into a bag so they can do a fecal exam to determine what type of worms he has (those wite rice shaped things). Your vet will prescribe a dewormer.
Until then try to entice him to take fluids. No salt broth, pedialyte...no artificial sweeteners! Try a bit of plain boiled chicken.
He should be back to good health quickly.

I know this is late, but, IMO, it sounds like this pup has Parvo. The worms would not affect his appetite, especially in a puppy, and the worm described sounds like a tapeworm which really shouldn't cause ANY of these problems.
If he hasn't been taken to the vet yet, he needs to go immediately as IF he does have parvo, every second counts!!!