Harper

My puppy becomes aggressive when I take things from her mouth.

My 12 week old golden retriever becomes agressive if I try to take something from her mouth while we are on a walk, such as garbage or rocks. She doesn't do it at home with her food or toys, only when I try to take something directly from her mouth and usually it's because it's something I'm worried about her eating. Do you have any suggestions on how to break her of this?

Asked by Harper on Jul 6th 2013 in Aggression

Answers

The answer is training. She is a young pup and doing exactly what her ancestors were bred to do in the field- retrieve prey. At 6 months, sit, stay, drop it and leave it, as well as housebreaking, should be completed. If not, it's time for more training. The pup doesn't know that you're not playing with her at this point, and you don't want to get into a tug of war with your hand in the middle! Clicker or treat training will aid in positive reinforcement, and there is plenty of reading material on the subject, plus live group or individual training classes that you can both join. ^_^