Mika

My obedience trainer is against dog doors.

She says that not controlling access to the outdoors is one of the worst things to do and leads to huge behavioral problems (especially in pigheaded dogs like mine). I installed a dog door at the advice of a different trainer who said it leads to fewer behavioral problems stemming from boredom (especially for a really smart dog like mine!)I tried to find a third opinion and can't seem to.

Asked by Mika on Oct 12th 2011 Tagged dogdoor, behaviorproblems, trainingstyles in Methods of Training

Answers

I have never heard of this in my entire life, especially from a dog trainer. I see nothing wrong with using a dog door. The good thing about a dog door is that the dog can go outside whenever they want to and come inside whenever they want to, so it'll keep them less bored.

Jasmine

I agree use the door.

Jasmine answered on 10/12/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

SNEAKERS

I TOTALLY agree with Howard !

A Doggie Door is absolutely the BEST THING that ever came between my personal time, and having to run those guys out for a pee every hour or so !

Besides not having to deal with that, it lets my guys out in the yard, where they can run after the squirrels and play with each other whenever they want to for exercise, and I think the person you got that information from, has NEVER had/used a Doggie Door !

There are just WAY too many of those "experts" which demand dictatorial control over every aspect of a living beings life, like a Dogs. Dogs have moods, thoughts, and are not some mindless automatons, who's every action need be "trained or approved".

Psychoanalysis is my recommendation for her.

SNEAKERS answered on 10/12/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

so what is the problem? chasing and habitual barking then you don't want a door.
If the dog is peeing and marking inside then you want a door. I think the confusion is what is the dog doing? :)
I would not have a dog door for my crew. One dog is blind could fall in inground pool. One dog is a personal guard dog/ trained to not let intruders in, so she is monitored. One is a barker whose bark is loud. so no dog doors here.
I would like to have one however if I was home bc leaving the door open the flies get in.
You can block and close dog doors when you aren't home or if the dog has barking issues. right?
I think the trainer just didn't explain herself.

Amazing Grace

Mika, Dieta brought up some good points. I believe each trainer gave advice based upon the level of training you had acheived at those particular times. Owner/pet relationships go through phases, and it's not all black & white. I suggest balancing both approaches. Use the doggie door for when you are busy working around the house and can't give your full attention. Use the controlled access approach to reinforce basic obedience. For example: sit, stay and then have the dog follow you through the door.

Amazing Grace answered on 10/12/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Okay, here's another opinion... dog doors are a TERRIBLE security risk! I know I have personally crawled through a dog door to get into a friend's house, no doubt a burglar could do the same. Plus feral cats and raccoons and squirrels can come in it unless you get the fancy kind that only open from a signal on the dog's collar.

Also I wouldn't risk it because my dog is very predatory and a bit of an escape artist, so he doesn't go out in the yard unsupervised. But not all dogs are like him, so that's a minor point. BUT... if your dog is likely to climb over or dig under your fence, dog doors are a really bad idea.

Anyway, it's totally up to you, I just wanted to point out a couple things!

My dogs have 24 hour a day access to the fenced in back yard. I would not be without it. In over 25 years , I have never had problem and it has been nice for the dogs also. As for someone trying to crawl through the door to rob me. Good luck not getting your head taken off when you stick it through. My dogs are all house trained and use the door to keep accidents to almost zero. If i wanted to keep them inside, it is no problem to lock it so they can not get out.