My mini schnauzer acts like she's starving, gobbles her food down and eats any kind of paper. Diet deficit?

She's 8, spayed, and lives with a male 7-year-old who doesn't act like this at all. I rescued them a year ago after their original owner had to give them up when moving from a house to an apartment. The dogs have lived together all their lives.

Asked by Member 809075 on Jul 21st 2009 Tagged eatingpaper, gobblingfood in Other Food & Nutrition

Answers

Sounds like a Lab puppy. Actually Aster acted like she was starving and ate rapidly when she was 14. She only slowed later when she had cancer in her jaw.

There are not one, but 2 easy, tested, effective ways to control rapid eating. You can spread the food out on a cookie sheet or something. Some of my friends just throw it on the floor of the crate. You can put large rocks in the food dish, much to big to swallow. Either way, the dog can't gulp down one big mouthful after another.

As for the paper, correct her with an ''Ah, ah, ah!'' whne you cantch her and offer her a chew toy. When you can't watch her, crate her. A dog that has not been crated since it was little, make take some work. Start out just putting its toys and treats in the crate. Praise it for going in. If you have been able to trust it with any bedding, put that in the crate. Feed it in the crate. This is also an easy way to maintain order at feeding time for more than one dog.

Max (aka Sebastian)

You can also buy bowls which have a raised part in the middle which slows eating.
The paper eating could be from habit, or she may like th noise it makes or she may have an upset tummy after eatting so fast.
Correct her when you catch her, and try to keep all papers out of her reach and provide her with a toy that makes a crinkle sound to maybe mimic the paper sound.

Max (aka Sebastian) answered on 7/22/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Ty

If you can not find the bowl, a rock large enough for he not to eat and be put in the bowl so she has to move it around to get to the food. Also do you have the two dogs seperated when they eat so she is not trying to keep the male from getting to her food?

Ty answered on 7/22/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Maverick

I acted like I was starving when Mom put me on a diet last year. The vet recommended putting me back onto an adult food instead of the senior so the food would stay with me longer. I also got the plain rice cakes as low cal treats and sometimes a few -low sodium- green beans from a can to be more filling.

I would check the ingredients of what you are feeding. Mom recommends a food with no ground yellow corn so that your mom doesn't have to spend to much time on pooper scooper duty! As well as a food with a protein source in the first ingredient! Mom likes Ultra. They have three meat sources so they are full of protein as well as some super foods like blueberries and pomegranate so your dog gets all the antioxidants they need!

Check out www.ultraholistic.com

Mom loves to talk dog food so if you have any questions feel free to message and ask! She works for Nutro and loves to help!

Maverick answered on 7/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer