My husky won't eat!!

I have a 8 week old Siberian puppy, he hasn't been eating very well ( a few bites a day). We took him to the vet to make sure he wasn't sick, but the vet didnt find any thing wrong, other than the noted lack of padding. He suggested we just wait and see what happens. I've been reading alot about the "raw diet" and was wondering if anyone has any actual experience with it and how well it is tollerated by the puppy, especially since he's been on a commercial diet?

Asked by Member 787486 on Jan 4th 2009 in Raw Food

Answers

I wouldn't recommend putting this puppy on a raw diet. Any issue which is causing him to not eat is going to probably be exacerbated by feeding raw at this point.

Your puppy is quite young. At 8 weeks, you probably just got him quite recently, yes? Lack of appetite in healthy puppies is something that can happen when they first go to new homes. Transitioning from his mother and littermates to a new home is stressful.

However, lack of "padding" could mean he's either lost weight recently or never been thriving to the point where he should be at his age.

If your vet didn't do a comprehensive checkup, including a blood panel, insist on it. There are reasons other than stress he might not be eating and it's important to find out what those are.

Also, try feeding a different brand/formula. He may have a sensitive tummy. Any transition should be gradual to avoid gastric upset.

Brands to try: Wellness, Innova, Eagle Pack.

Good luck, hope he's eating and healthy soon.

Malty

Speaking from lots of experience. I got 2 puppies in one year. I had the same problem with both. The first one we got at 6 weeks and we thought it was her young age. The second one we got was almost 9 weeks and they both would not eat. I literally spent a small fortune trying every kind of food and even cooked them chicken etc. because I was so worried and I have come to realize it may just be them getting used to a new home. They are being taken away from all that they have know, their mother, siblings and the other home. I now realized I worried myself sick and my little Yorkie the 6 weeks old one is now a year and weighs 10 pounds and that is big for a yorkie and the maltese weighs 6 pounds and he is only about 4 months and that is big for a maltese, so as hard as it is and I know it is hard, please try and not worry, I was mostly worried about the low blood sugar so that is why I was desperate and started cooking them meat, and now have a hard time getting them to eat dog food.

Malty answered on 1/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Vance CGC

Huskies are notoriously picky eaters, so I'm much less concerned about a health issue here than I would be if you had, say, a Lab - Unless he has other symptoms of digestive problems, like vomiting or diarrhea. I have Vance's vet records from his previous owner and they mention a food change at almost every visit from 10 weeks to 4 years.

When I got him at 4 years old, rail thin, I put him on raw and he finally started eating and gained weight. He's still quite picky... He doesn't like chicken at all, for example. Some days he just doesn't feel like eating (also typical of Huskies). But there's plenty he does enjoy, so I build his diet off those things and he's generally been thriving.

There's a transition period with any new diet, but typically young dogs have an easier time adjusting to diet changes. Many breeders wean puppies directly on to raw, and many Dogsters in the Raw Forum have done it as well - both would be good resources to check out.

Vance CGC answered on 1/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

A raw meat diet is absolutely the best you can do for this puppy! Know Better Dog Food can balance it for you, if you're concerned about feeding nutrients in the correct proportion. We raised a litter of puppies this way, and they grew up to be beautiful, healthy dogs.

Since the vet has checked him out, we'll rule out a medical issue.

This sounds like it is likely a transitional issue. Huskies are already prone to being picky eaters, so there is that element to contend with, and coupled with the fact that he is adjusting to a new place for the first time, it isn't all that unusual for him to react this way.

Make sure that you are feeding him a high quality food with human grade ingredients (something 5 or 6 star on dogfoodanalysis.com) to start. There's lots of pup formulas on that site. Also, try getting his interest up by adding a small bit of wet food to dry kibble, or a bit of american cheese, yogurt, unsweetened applesauce, or peanut butter. Something undeniably yummy usually gets even the scarediest dogs to eat again. Just make sure not to overload the yummy stuff and hurt his tummy. One item at a time in his kibble, and then wait a few days before introducing something else.