My Great Dane started Bleeding today, when is she ready to be bred??

I know everyone has an opinion about breeding and saying that someone doesn't know enough to be a breeder. I'm not looking for those answers!! I have been researcing breedig for a year now, and i have selecteda AKC Champion stud as her mate. EVERY BREEDER started somewhere and didn't know all the answers at one point. I have read many webpages on breeding and most say to wait untill the bleeding has stopped. But a breeder friend of mine said that i should start getting her with the male as soon a possible. I just want to try to ensure a pregnancy, that we have finacially and mentally prepared for and need advice from the pros!!

Asked by Member 825967 on Apr 13th 2009 in Great Dane

Answers

I will answer your question, but first I'd like to say that if you haven't researched enough to know the answer to this question, you shouldn't be breeding your dog yet. You need *at least* one more year of research, and you also need to find yourself a good mentor.
GOOD breeders make sure that they know all they can before breeding. Breeding without this knowledge is extremely risky on so many levels. I am a breeder in training myself. I have been researching breeding for three plus years, and though I know a lot on the subject already, I am no where near ready to breed yet. Partly because I need a mentor. A mentor will answer your questions, and you can help them care for their dogs and litters, thus gaining the experience you'll need as a breeder.
I can only hope that you will take my advice.

Also, you may have chosen an AKC stud, but what genetic health certs has he passed? OFA, CERF, cardiac, thyroid, and breed-specific tests? What about your bitch? Has she been tested for and passed the same?

Now, I'll answer the question:
The breeding normally should take place on the 12th - 14th day, but it can vary with different bitches. She should be ready when she finishes bleeding.

if your dog is 1 year old then she is ready to be bred,but when she is under the age of 1 she should not be bred.

The vet will have your answer.

She's ready when she has her own AKC conformation championship, she's 2 years old, and has passed all the necessary health tests (OFA hips and elbows, eyes, cardiac, thyroid, etc).
She'll also be ready down the road when you have a good mentor and know the answer to this question without having to get on dogster to ask.
And the answer is no, not as soon as possible. There is a time during the bleeding, but I refuse to give out more information because this is something you should've known BEFORE you did this.
And btw, if this is her first heat and you are doing this, you could really hurt her.

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 4/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

No dog should ever be bred until the owner knows enough not to have to ask such basic questions. There are books filled with details you need to know before breeding a dog. You have not done your homework.