My dogs bottom jaw shakes uncontrollably, what is wrong???

My dog, Lucky, has a spastic motion of his bottom jaw. I wouldn't normally worry because he is a hyper dog and a lot of them make similar motions when they are excited. But he looks so stressed and scared when it happens and I feel so bad for him.

Asked by Member 569182 on Feb 11th 2008 Tagged shaking, jaw, spastic, seizures, bottom, mouth in Health & Wellness

Answers

You really need to take the dog in to the vet.

This sounds very much like an epileptic seizure. They can be isolated to one area of the body, even the lower jaw. If he is stressed and scared when this happens, it is more than likely either a seizure or a painful muscle spasm of some sort.

He needs to be evaluated by a vet as soon as possible.

Sorry I can't give you better news, but I truly believe this is urgent.

If he IS diagnosed with epilepsy, don't worry. The vast, vast majority of dogs with this condition live happy, healthy long lives with minor medication.

HERBIE

MY DOGS BOTTOM LIP QUIVERS WHEN HE IS IN TROUBLE!!!
BUT IF YOUR DOGS JAW IS SHAKING, YOU NEEDTO GET TO THE VET SOON.

HERBIE answered on 2/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My dog has seizures sometimes. Don't fret over it. Sergeant is on phenobarbitol twice daily and goes for his first blood draw (drug level check) next week. I only paid 14.00 for 100 tabs which will last him 50 days so it is not overly expensive to treat him. But I would take him to the vet to be evaluated and rule out anything that can be life threatening.