My dogs baby teeth are starting to fall out. His canine is currently loose, should I pull it out for him?

Asked by Member 532893 on Nov 18th 2007 in Health & Safety

Answers

I would leave it alone. When the tooth is good and ready to fall out, it will do so by itself.

Liberty

I would not do this, let it fall out naturally. I pulled one of my dogs teeth and now she is afraid to allow me to brush her teeth. I feel bad for this but didn't know the consequences, felt I was helping her.

Liberty answered on 11/19/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree with the others. Allow the teeth to fall out on their own. Not only do you not want your puppy to associate your touch with pain, but you want to make sure the tooth falls out naturally since you could do damage to the surrounding tissue and cause an infection if you pull it.

Also, just some additional advice: you will probably start to see a few teeth here and there on the floor as he loses them. Don't be alarmed, though, if you don't see as many as you think you should; most puppies swallow at least some of their teeth and it isn't really a problem.

We still have some of Jack's cute tiny baby teeth that I collected when he was losing them. I couldn't resist. I'd be playing with him in the kitchen and all of a sudden....PLINK....I'd see one on the floor. So cute.

NO do not pull it out just leave it alone nature will do its THING GIRL.
-Steve

Jelly

You didn't say if the adult tooth was in or not. If there is no adult tooth then just leave it. I have always found that the canine teeth are the hardest ones to fall out. If your puppy will let you I would try to wiggle the tooth to help it along. I have done this many times with my pups and they don't experience any pain. The only time you have to pull a tooth is if the adult tooth is more then half way in and the puppy tooth is not out. A retained puppy tooth can make the adult tooth grow in crooked. To pull the tooth you should go to the vet and they put the pup under to do it. Over the years I have had to get a number of canine teeth pulled in puppies because they wouldn't fall out and the adult teeth were growing in. My dogs were show dogs so having straight adult teeth was very important.

Jelly answered on 11/19/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer