Riley

My dog won't poop outside in the Winter!

Riley is a 4 year old pug/jack mix. He is house trained, never has any accidents... until it starts to snow. He hates the cold and snow, in order to keep him warmer we got him boots and a coat. We feed him twice a day at the same time, and twice a day walks at the same time every day. In the winter though (especially in the morning) he will sneak off and poop before his walk. It is not that he can't hold it because we have kept to the a schedule, even going for earlier walks to try and combat the problem. If we take him before he manages to poop inside, he still won't go outside. He never pees inside, just poops. He knows it is wrong.
I have tried taking him for walks anyway after he poops so he knows he will still have to go outside. When that didn't work I tried putting him on his lead in the backyard so he knows he will still have to outside, but knowing that he'd rather go for a walk and won't get that if he poops inside.

Asked by Riley on Dec 14th 2013 Tagged winter, poop, inside in House Soiling

Answers

I would crate him during those times. Then take him right out. If he doesn't go, I would put him back in the crate. Do you shovel a spot for him? Maybe he'll go in a shoveled spot. Other than that, I don't have any other advice. Maybe someone else will. Good Luck!

Like the previous answer, I would build a covered area for him outside where there is no snow (shoveled). Some dogs love snow and cold, and some hate it. Be more forceful in your tone and manner when he wrong place-poops. If that fails, I would work with a local trainer, which won't cost too much since you are only going to be working on one seasonal, specific behavior. Happy Howli-days!! ^_^

There are a few things to consider when it comes to dogs and snowy environment. One of them is that snow is not as soft as you think it is. Snow is basically crystallized water. So, taking your dog out for a potty (or to enjoy the snowy atmosphere) on a snowy day is tantamount to rubbing a piece of icy cold crystal against your dog’s paws.

Despite their tough appearance, dog paws are actually quite sensitive. Snow can irritate a dog’s paws, or cause laceration on paws over time. Small amounts of exposure aren’t enough to really hurt them or rub a paw raw. However, long periods of time spent walking or running on snow can cause your dog’s paws to chafe, freeze, and/or unnecessary pain.

An indoor potty would be of great help on cold days. Protect your dog's paws by letting him wear dog boots.