My dog who is 1 won't stop peeing and pooping in his crate.

Me and my husband work and our dog has to be in his crate. Recently he started pooping in his crate. He has always peed. We talked to the vet and she wants to put him on anxiety medication and we aren't sure if we want to do that yet. We have put his favorite toys in his crate, filled a kong with treats, and leave the radio on for him. Does anyone have any ideas? When he is out of his crate he is good. We are just tired of coming home and having to clean/srub him and the crate.

Asked by Jack on Mar 4th 2008 in Separation Anxiety

Best Answer

Either you are leaving him in the crate too long (so long that he can't hold it any longer) or the crate is too big. If a crate is big enough, a dog will use one side for a bathroom and the other for a bed.

Gray Dawn Treader answered on Mar 4th.

Answers

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!!

Looks like he is a rescue dog.Do you know his past history?It may be that he has always done these behaviors and that is why he ended up in a rescue.If his crate is to big he may be feeling that it is ok to do this.get a smaller crate for him.Is anyone able to come home at lunch to let him out?If not you may want to hire a pet sitter to let him out and take him for a walk around 1:00 or so to break up his day a bit.Bostons are very energetic dogs and very intelligent as well.They need alot of exercise and mental stimulation or they will find ways to get attention.Jack should not be made to hold his potties for that long.Even if you hire a dog walker for a while till he is doing good then you ca eventually lessonn the times that person comes.That is what is best for your dog.

Clay R.I.P. my handsome boy!! answered on 3/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

After rescuing my then 7 year old pit (who was in the shelter for 6 years of her life), we knew we would have to crate train her. Dogs can get very bored when left alone and like the others said, if the crate is too big they will go to the bathroom in it. My dog would be in her crate for 7-8 hours a day while we were at work. When we came home, we would open it so that she could come and go as she pleased. If you walk your dog (and I don't mean just around the block), before going in her crate and immediately when you get home, she should be able to make it through the 7-8 hours. Anything beyond that would be cruel. Not that they can't hold it, but can you imagine not being able to walk around for more than that. She could get anxious and nervous and this can cause her to go to the bathroom. So, are you getting the energy out of your dog before you crate her (like a 30-45 minute walk)? If not, consider getting a mid-day walker, or don't have a dog.