my dog seems a little constapated can i give him anything to help

my dog seems to be having a problem today pooping i see him trying but not having much success can i give him anything like doggie ex-lax

Asked by Member 500548 on Nov 23rd 2007 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Unless your dog has an already diagnosed condition that causes this sort of symptom, I would not take this lightly.

Dogs are quite different when it comes to constipation and gastric emptying.

He could be dehydrated, or he could have a gastic parasite or intestnal blockage, which is quite serious.

I hate to bean alarmist, but some symptoms just need to be checked out by a vet since they are usually associated with conditions that require treatment.

More than likely, this is an isolated incident, but it is important to treat it as if it were something serious.

Any kind of ex-lax or product like that is dangerous because you don't know how your dog is going to react/if it is safe, or what is causing the symptoms to begin with.

Jack gave you a very good reply and mine is just an addition to what Jack already said.

If you see constipation after you've fed some weird things ... I know around the holidays many dogs get meat and bread and all sorts of things they don't normally get .... it will probably return to normal within a day or two.

Any time you have a bit of constipation with an obvious cause like feeding additional things / things that are really dry, you can add a little bit of pumpkin (plain 100% pure pumpkin - you can buy it canned for about $.99 a can) to their next meal. That usually helps loosen things up again.

(Pumpkin can also be used if your dog has diarrhea.)