GiGi

My dog licks everything...The carpet, Our clothes, furniture...Just wondering is this is normal or why she is doing so.

Asked by GiGi on Mar 17th 2008 in Other Behavior & Training

Best Answer

My dog had the same behavior and after contacting a behaviorist, we were told that she did it out of boredom. Problem was, we weren't exercising her enough. Once the daily controlled walks began, the licking stopped. Now, the only time she does it is before she is going to get sick (she tends to lick the carpet before doing it). Dogs have funny ways of acting out boredom. Walk and play with your dog daily and the behavior should stop. Even if you can't do it on a daily basis, try it to at least see if it works.

answered on Mar 18th.

Answers

Bear and Bambi - Mommys Angels

Not sure why some pups do this. we had a poodle that we jokingly said " Had a licking disorder" she licked everything!! As she got older the licking did decrease, but it never completely stopped.

Bear and Bambi - Mommys Angels answered on 3/17/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

It is normal. It's pawsible that she likes the feel of things touching her tongue.

~Emma~ RL1

My sisters two yorkies do this too! No real advice just had to pipe in.

~Emma~ RL1 answered on 3/17/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Miss Buddie

I had a chihuahua that did the same thing.

Miss Buddie answered on 3/18/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer