Lily Anne Grace

My dog is puking bile and is constipated

Since yesterday my dog won't eat, is throwing up bile and seems to be constipated, she pooped a bit the first time it came out like pencil thin and then she has pooped a few times as what I can only describe as like melted milk duds(sorry). Yesterday she was still active, playful, tail wagging and started showing interest in food by late evening, today she is very sucky with all the same symptoms. she is a 3 year old bichon frise and has always been healthy. She has an appointment to get her anal glands done this week, they are pretty full. My friend is on her way to take her to the emergency vet clinic but I am terrified for my girl and hate seeing her like this. I guess I would like opinions on what could be going on, if anyone else ever had this with their dog? She had her shots last week ad has been extra clingy and whining quite a bit could it be related?

Asked by Lily Anne Grace on Aug 18th 2013 Tagged vomiting, bile, noteating, pencil, bichon, appetite, bowel in Health & Wellness

Answers

A change in diet may be in order. Take a look at small breed (pink label) Adult Ultra, found in finer pet stores. They have small wet trays and treats to supplement her diet as well, one cookie has pumpkin for digestion (turquoise label). Yes, you definitely did the right thing by having someone take her to the emergency vet to ensure her safety. After she is settled, a different diet will help to keep her "regular". ^_^

I hope all is well with your dog now. Her constipation is due to her diet. Have you changed it lately? Give her enough fluids and make sure you take her out to poop.

It is amazing to me how people can diagnose a dogs problems as the result of their diet, over the Internet, no less, and without even knowing the diet she is currently eating!!!
Sounds to me like she could have a blockage OR her problem could be from not eating due to reactions from her recent vaccinations.
If you want to change her diet visit dogfoodadvisor.com and make your own decisions based on the studies done there, frankly, Nutro doesn't have the greatest ratings nor track record.
Goog luck and hope she is feeling better soon.

Totally agree with Toto. I really hope things went ok at the e-vet. My first thought was a blockage also.

I think there is some kind of blockage! May be she have engulfed any toys or socks or it may be because of the constipation too. But it is very serious. Take her to the vet to find the fact behind and get her relief.

It's good you took her to Emergency. It may not even be anything you gave her to eat; perhaps she suddenly picked up something off the street when you were walking her. I feel at times that I have to walk with my head down constantly so my dog doesn't pick up anything. I watch her so carefully when he wants to stop & sniff, to ensure he's not tricking me & has actually found something to eat. Once when vet changed his diet to the 'sensitive' dog food, he had the same symptoms as your dog; it happened again when he grabbed an empty corn cob from a plate that I was on my way to collect after we had all eaten. I rang the vet to tell him & he told me to bring him in immediately. When I did, the Vet gave him an injection to make him throw up in their yard. When he 'obliged', the vet pointed out part of it & told me that if I hadn't taken him to vet, It would have meant obstruction & surgery.