My dog is driving me insane!!! Please help!

Had a 12 week old puppy for a week. Unfortunately I only heard about over dependency when it was to late. Only took one day now he is at my feet every minute of the day. If I go out of sight, it literally takes 1 second before he starts whining. I am know sat in the lounge with him at 12:30 so the rest of my family can get some sleep. I have tried crating him with the use of kongs with chocolate spread. Ignored the first three nights of barking and completely ignored him for three days now, Shut him in kitchen with my earphones on but he won't stop. I really don't want to get rid, but I am running out of options with kids in the house. He is a cocker spaniel and I have read every article out there on puppies. But he just won't leave me alone. I seriously think this dog is insane!! anybody now the best way to solve this problem cause i,m all out of ideas! I know a week doesn't sound like a long time but feels like forever when you have something attached to your foot!!! HELP!!!

Asked by Member 1144009 on Dec 6th 2012 Tagged dependency, barking, anxiety, clingy in Behavior & Training

Answers

Just a note, chocolate is not good for dogs.

Try some peanut butter instead. You could also freeze it to make it more complicated.

Chocolate is TOXIC! It can KILL your dog! STOP!
Now..you have a baby. Would you consider a human baby to be overly dependent on you? Of course not! A puppy is going to be dependent on you. It is called "bonding." Ignoring now will lead to more problems. Take advantage of his interest by training. Do short, positive sessions. This will tire out his mind. Socialize him with other people & dogs who are up-to-date on their shots.
Make his crate a good place to be. Praise & reward when he goes in on his own. Feed his meals in there with the door open.
Tire him out so he will sleep. Put his crate in your room so he can smell your presence.
Ian Dunbar's "Before & After Getting a Puppy" is a must for you.
It sounds like you really do NOT understand what it takes to be a dog owner.
If you can not commit to him now, then please do this dog a favour and rehome him to someone who can work with him.
Good dogs are not born..they are molded through years of effort & training.

First of all, chocolate is bad for dogs.I wouldn't give him anymore. You have to remember that he's still just a baby. He probably misses his mother and litter-mates. Dogs are very social animals and they love to be around their people. How old are your kids?If they are older than 8 or 9, then maybe they can play with the pup.Tired dogs are well behaved dogs.If your kids are younger than 8, I wouldn't leave the pup unsupervised with them.At night, you can give him a large stuffed animal to snuggle with, like he used to with his litter-mates.You can also put a ticking clock in the room.That has a similar rhythm to his mothers heart beat; he probably misses her too.If your not used to pups and you never had one before, it can be overwhelming. You should look up Cocker Spaniels on the internet, read about their breed. All dogs have different traits that are specific to their breed. I would take him to puppy classes for socialization. Try posting on Behavior forum on this site. Good Luck!

Haliaka

Guys, chocolate spread is a product for dogs. It does not contain chocolate.

Try having another member of the household give the dog a reward when he leaves your side, or does anything without you.
He may grow out of his puppy anxiety as he gets older. In the mean time, reward independant behaviors, and kennel when not supervised. Lots of toys and exersize help.
You may also consider a companion for your pup.

Haliaka answered on 12/6/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Thank you for the feed backs, I have written out an accurate daily routine for him. So I still get to play with him, he gets enough exrecise and hopefuly should learn to be on his own for a while! ill change the kong filling just incase! was a little agitated last night so don't worry people im not nasty to him and I have never shown him anything but positive emotions!

@wiley not sure how productive advicing someone to rehouse a dog that has over dependency issues is! :/ as would have thought in most cases that would end him up in kennels due to the problem I have admittedly given him. I am committed to making him happy and doing everything in my power to mold him. I think people who are willing to learn and take the time to find out how to deal with him correctly are well suited to own a dog, admittedly I was ignorant before getting him, but I am willing to claim responsibility for that and do what,s necessary. Don't be so quick to judge! thanks for the advice though!